oms wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about the current DUI-owned OMS products but there's an instructor that I used to dive with. Her OMS BC was well used and she loved it. I personally prefer Dive Rite or Halcyon, but then that's why there are plenty of choices out there for people to choose from.

@ripman3: Here are two reasonable wings (same lift) for doubles that have very different profiles.

I'd suggest trying both styles before you buy. Which particular manufacturer you use doesn't matter one whit for this comparison.

Attachments

• 60 Pound Wings.jpg
    60 Pound Wings.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 100
does anyone use oms wings? I never hear anything about them here. where I dive a lot of people use them. wreck diving in ny and nj. I was thinking about getting one for doubles. I would like to know what you guys think about them.

I'd start by determining how much lift you need, then take a look at possible trim concerns, then narrow down your choices.

I'm happy to walk you through my process for selecting a wing for a given application. 626-799-5078

Tobin

I'd start by determining how much lift you need,
Given the OP, It'll be 60#.
... then take a look at possible trim concerns, ...//...
And that is the whole issue. Love to know how you figure it.

Given a balanced rig, you can always blame trim on the diver. Body position. I've been working rather hard on this issue, the point of application of lift is either liberating or excruciating for the diver.

Given the OP, It'll be 60#.
And that is the whole issue. Love to know how you figure it.

Given a balanced rig, you can always blame trim on the diver. Body position. I've been working rather hard on this issue, the point of application of lift is either liberating or excruciating for the diver.

If I have the diver's height and weight, the actual buoyancy of their exposure suit and the cylinders they will be using I can typically get pretty close.

I wouldn't assume the OP needs a 60 without having the specifics of his suit and cylinders.

Tobin

If I have the diver's height and weight, the actual buoyancy of their exposure suit and the cylinders they will be using I can typically get pretty close.
Fair enough. Aim for something between a body-builder and a marathoner frame.

I've experienced what it feels like to be "dialed in". Nothing short of that should be acceptable. I'm s**t sick of contorting myself to DIR standards just to be able to maintain trim.
I wouldn't assume the OP needs a 60 without having the specifics of his suit and cylinders. ...//...
Let me know what it turns out to be.

OP, Tobin isn't one of my favorite people, but he won't steer you wrong either. Let go of OMS and get something that works for you.

I always got a chuckle out of all the hoopla about the bungee wing of death. OMS sold there wings with and without bungees. Plus I'm sure all divers have some sort of cutting device, just cut the damn things off! Now as said previously, no one seems to be bitching about all the new sidemount wing that come with bungees.

Back
Top Bottom