First dive on a resuscitated Favor S

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheHuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm sure some of you read in my previous posts that I had came across a Favor S in a cluster with a SPG when I bought a used Regulator set. The Favor screen was dead blank. I had no idea if it would ever work again, or if just needed a battery. So I took the gamble and bought a battery kit on Ebay. Got the battery yesterday, and it lit right on up.

Does anyone have any recommendations on using this the first few times? I'm thinking about renting a nice dive computer from the LDS and then comparing the readings under water. Other option is to find a basic depth gauge and use it along with my dive charts to see how accurate it is.

But if I had to guess, this thing will work perfect. I think its close to 20 years old, but based on it lighting up, menus working, temperature gauge is working, and in 5 feet of pool water it did start ticking up dive time, and turned on the no fly timer. I just dont want to put my trust in to it if its potentially dangerous.

Thoughts?

Bring it along on your next benign, shallow dive. Compare yours and your buddy's to see how well they match.

Good call. I dont have any buddies to dive with, which is the first problem. But I'm planning to dive at a club meet, so I'm sure I can buddy up with someone who has a computer.

It looks like the computers last owner had a bad last dive. (the logs are still on it) Went down to 155 feet, and had gotten the SLOW warning. It makes me wonder if he got in a real bad situation, and then gave up Scuba.

That makes me wonder if the depth sensor is shot...they don't last forever and older Suunto's were known to have problems. IDK about Favors but there was an issue/recall with Gekko sensors failing some years ago.

Another option is to find a shop with a pressure pot and have them test it.
Or find a shop renting wrist Zoops (popular option) and match one to yours on some dives.
I believe the algorithm is possibly similar on both - Suunto's are known for being the most conservative in the recreational market.

If you compare with someone on your dives diving a more aggressive algorithm - just about all of them are - yours should be more conservative than theirs.

Is that your only depth gauge? You wouldn't see me doing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
I'm going to the LDS today, and I do beleive they have a pressure pot. Maybe I'll take it with me. As far as it being the only one, its the only one i own. But I think before I venture out on my next dive I'll get a hold of a classic analog pressure gauge.

Definitely better to get it checked out above water than find out it is knackered mid dive.

Pressure sensors do go bad but I personally wouldn't worry about it as long as I had a buddy's computer/depth gauge to compare it to. If you're within a meter or so of their depth readings at several different depth checks, you're probably pretty safe. Do this regularly until you've dived to the likely deepest depth you're going to and you're comfortable with the output of yours. I've had my computer crap out on a dive and I had no gauge so I used a watch as a timer and my buddy's computer as my depth gauge. No problem.

The only emergency is no air. Everything else can be handled with a calm head and some rational thought, especially if you know about it before hitting the water.

My plan will be to rent a wrist mount dive computer this weekend. I'm planning to go on a 4 dive boat ride on Sunday. This should allow me to really prove if the Suunto is working or not. If it is working, I'll keep it until this summer. The scuba show is coming to Long Beach in June (which is a 10 minute walk from my house). I'll plan to buy a new computer at that show since I know there will be killer deals.

A buddy of mine still dives the '83 Orca Edge, so don't give up on your computer too soon if it works.

Bob

The older suuntos aren't the ones with the dodgy pressure sensors, the favor will most likely be fine. The cobras and zoops are the primary ones that self dive.

Back
Top Bottom