Salvo 21w 10.4a battery specifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi. I am looking for the specifications of the battery of my old Salvo 21w light. I only know it says 10.4a battery. Does anyone know what is the capacity of the battery?

I have been asked a few times in the recent years regarding the information at the airport. Haven't been that much of a problem in the past but I understand the sensitivity.

thank you

If you have the nominal voltage, chemistry and maybe the number of cells I can probably figure out what they used.

The pack voltage maybe marked, if not use a volt meter, or lacking that take a look at the output of the charger.

Tobin

I only know it says 10.4a battery. Does anyone know what is the capacity of the battery? . . .

Maybe you're looking for something different, but if "capacity" is really what you are asking, 10.4 amp-hours is the rated capacity.

Maybe you're looking for something different, but if "capacity" is really what you are asking, 10.4 amp-hours is the rated capacity.

Does a 10.4 amphour, 24 volt battery have the same capacity as a 10.4 amphour 48 volt battery?

No. Amphour is 1/2 the info needed to determine capacity. Capacity is watt / hours. Volts X amps = watts, Volts x amp hours = watt hours. You need voltage and amphours to determine capacity.

Take a look at the restrictions on travel for Li-Ion batteries, watthours is what they use…..

Tobin

Battery packs from that era would be built from 2600 mA-hr lithium-ion cells in a 3 series / 4 parallel configuration. This results in a nominal 12 Volt pack with 10.4 A-hr capacity.

My answer for airport screening would be simply that it's a 12 Volt battery. (Actual Watt-hrs are 11.1 * 10.4 = 115.4)

Battery packs from that era would be built from 2600 mA-hr lithium-ion cells in a 3 series / 4 parallel configuration. This results in a nominal 12 Volt pack with 10.4 A-hr capacity.

My answer for airport screening would be simply that it's a 12 Volt battery. (Actual Watt-hrs are 11.1 * 10.4 = 115.4)

Yup, 115 w/h.

Tobin

Does a 10.4 amphour, 24 volt battery have the same capacity as a 10.4 amphour 48 volt battery?

No. Amphour is 1/2 the info needed to determine capacity. Capacity is watt / hours. Volts X amps = watts, Volts x amp hours = watt hours. You need voltage and amphours to determine capacity.

Take a look at the restrictions on travel for Li-Ion batteries, watthours is what they use…..

Tobin

Okay, then "capacity" isn't the specification the OP is looking for. "Capacity" is measured in amp-hours, for whatever voltage of the battery may be used to spec the capacity. How much power the battery can supply, which depends on the voltage, is measured in watt-hours. If the travel restrictions are stated in watt-hours, then how many watt-hours of power, not how many amp-hours of capacity, is the proper question.

Okay, then "capacity" isn't the specification the OP is looking for. "Capacity" is measured in amp-hours, for whatever voltage of the battery may be used to spec the capacity. How much power the battery can supply, which depends on the voltage, is measured in watt-hours. If the travel restrictions are stated in watt-hours, then how many watt-hours of power, not how many amp-hours of capacity, is the proper question.

No, battery capacity is expressed in Watthours.

Capacity is a measure of energy. Your electric Utility Provider does not bill you for how many Amphours you used in a month, they bill for how many watthours, typically Kilowatthours. Same idea. The Utility is charging you for the energy you used, a battery is rated by hour much energy it stores.

Ampere-hour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"An ampere-hour is not a unit of energy. In a battery system, for example, accurate calculation of the energy delivered requires integration of the power delivered (product of instantaneous voltage and instantaneous current) over the discharge interval. Generally, the battery voltage varies during discharge; an average value or nominal value may be used to approximate the integration of power."

I make this distinction only because many confuse the units associated with batteries. This is particularly true when "traditionally" a given class of devices were all the same voltage, i.e. all scooters were using 24 volt SLA's or all canister lights were using 12 volt NiMh packs. Amphours becomes a shorthand for comparing capacity. One need only look at the actual model names of SS scooters in the past UV 18 or UV 26, it referred to the amphour capacity of the battery.

That leads to confusion however when different chemistries, and different voltages are in play.

Which battery has more capacity, a 12 volt, x 5 amphour or a 6 volt x 10 amphour?

Tobin

Last edited:
I suppose you hit it on the head by saying "amphours becomes a shorthand for comparing capacity." Still, every source I have seen, including the Wikipedia link you cited, says (perhaps not quite precisely) that battery capacity is measured in units of amp-hours. The OP asked for "capacity." It seems to be that an answer of 10.4 Ah at whatever voltage the battery may be rated is the answer that would most commonly be given. I agree that comparing two batteries of different voltages doesn't yield the kind of answer that fits what the FAA/TSA travel restrictions are asking for.

No, battery capacity is expressed in Watthours.

Capacity is a measure of energy. Your electric Utility Provider does not bill you for how many Amphours you used in a month, they bill for how many watthours, typically Kilowatthours. Same idea. The Utility is charging you for the energy you used, a battery is rated by hour much energy it stores.

Ampere-hour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"An ampere-hour is not a unit of energy. In a battery system, for example, accurate calculation of the energy delivered requires integration of the power delivered (product of instantaneous voltage and instantaneous current) over the discharge interval. Generally, the battery voltage varies during discharge; an average value or nominal value may be used to approximate the integration of power." . . .

You quote one excerpt from that link, but you could also have quoted this one from the same link, which I suppose reveals the ambiguity:

"The ampere-hour is frequently used in measurements of . . . the 'capacity' of electrical batteries."

"Shorthand," okay. I suppose the assumption is that amp-hours is a useful unit for comparing batteries of the same voltage. But when someone asks the "capacity" of a battery, the literal answer to the question is typically in units of Ah. Light Monkey lists the capacity of the batteries they offer in units of Ah, such as 10.4 Ah, presumably so the consumer can compare them with each other.

Also: Battery (electricity) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A battery's capacity is the amount of electric charge it can deliver at the rated voltage. The more electrode material contained in the cell the greater its capacity. A small cell has less capacity than a larger cell with the same chemistry, although they develop the same open-circuit voltage.[27] Capacity is measured in units such as amp-hour (A·h)."

I think this shows the ambiguity, too. "Shorthand," okay, that makes sense to me.

I suppose you hit it on the head by saying "amphours becomes a shorthand for comparing capacity."

Shorthand doesn't make correct or even useful in the context of the OP's question

The OP asked for "capacity." It seems to be that an answer of 10.4 Ah at whatever voltage the battery may be rated is the answer that would most commonly be given.

I agree that comparing two batteries of different voltages doesn't yield the kind of answer that fits what the FAA/TSA travel restrictions are asking for.

The OP did mention "airport" in his post.

"Shorthand," okay. I suppose the assumption is that amp-hours is a useful unit for comparing batteries of the same voltage.

Light Monkey lists the capacity of the batteries they offer in units of Ah, such as 10.4 Ah, presumably so the consumer can compare them with each other.

As I have already noted, if the voltages are the same, as is the often the case within a given class of products

Also: Battery (electricity) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A battery's capacity is the amount of electric charge it can deliver at the rated voltage.

Sure seems voltage is the missing element.........

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom