shoulder surgery and recovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only you and your surgeon can decide when it is right for you. Please be cautious not to reinjure that shoulder while diving or any other activity that stresses that joint. My injury was a single torn rotator muscle, down time about 2 months but even 3 years later, movements that isolate that particular muscle are weak. I have learned to adapt and rarely have any problems now. When I first returned to diving I remember having trouble lifting objects (my camera/fins) to the deck crew when in the water and needing to put the bad shoulder in the BCD first. Climbing the ladder was less a concern then holding on to the boat to remove fins. Please don't use the injured shoulder for this. But with the extensive damage that you had you must have already adapted your diving for a bad shoulder at least to some extent?

I've gone thru this 4 times in the last few years. The last one was a month ago. In all, it will result in about two years of down time.
Recovery time depends on exactly what damage was done, how well it has been repaired, and how your body responds.
You may be fine in 3-4 months, or still be experiencing problems a year [even years] later.

Expect to spent about 6 months in recovery, and you may still have problems with stiffness and range of motion.

Fortunately, the shoulder joints are rarely taxed whilst diving, and you don't need much motion range anyway.

My last surgery was the beginning of Oct, and I'm targeting my next trip for April.
After a previous shoulder surgery, I took off after maybe 4-5 months, though my shoulder was still too stiff to move it much.
Gearing up took a little more time, as pulling my arm back was painful, but didn't affect the diving much, though that's the arm that wrestles with my big housed camera.
After a month or so, the stiffness and pain eased up considerably.

The thing to remember is to gradually add back in the different shoulder movements and follow the Dr's advice for such.
Overdoing it could result in more surgery, and another long period of being out of action.

I have also gone throught lots of shoulder stuff, but now need a replacement. Has anyone dealt with climbing a boat ladder with a shoulder implant? I was told to forget about it by my doctor. Too bad I like diving so much!

My son works for the company that makes all those replacement parts and hardware the doctors use.. he said after healing it should not be a problem.. He also said and has said it many times to me, It's all about the surgeon and how good he is...

Jim...

I've had 3 shoulder surgeries and I can tell you this..... it's your shoulder that will tell you when you can get back to diving. Remember it's not the actual diving that's tough it's getting in and out of your gear and in and out of the water. Good luck and listen to your doctor and PT. They will get you going faster than thinking you can do it yourself.

My son works for the company that makes all those replacement parts and hardware the doctors use.. he said after healing it should not be a problem.. He also said and has said it many times to me, It's all about the surgeon and how good he is...

Jim...
My understanding is that the pin installed in the shoulder is only held in by a bone graft, and more than 10-15 lbs pull can dislodge it.

I've had 3 shoulder surgeries and I can tell you this..... it's your shoulder that will tell you when you can get back to diving. Remember it's not the actual diving that's tough it's getting in and out of your gear and in and out of the water. Good luck and listen to your doctor and PT. They will get you going faster than thinking you can do it yourself.
I have had 5 surgeries on this shoulder, no fun ! It was my shoulder doc, who is very good, that said no go on ladders ! Dan medics said the same thing !

Then you would not be able to pick up a bag of groceries... The biggest part of these replacements is that they work like the joint they are replacing.. Once healing is done... And again... The doctors have to do a good job... You should hear some of the stories the factory reps have about " CRAPPY " doctors... SCARY... To say the least...

Jim...

I had shoulder surgery in December. The doc told me 6 to 8 weeks for recovery, plenty of time to feel good for my VI dive trips last week. Well, I'm not recovered...still trouble sleeping and with certain motions, but the dives went well. I was most concerned about climbing out of the water, especially because I am semi-paralyzed in my legs and feet, but I could reach and pull OK. Oddly enough, the most pain was when on the dives folding my arms was uncomfortable as was holding my hands at my waist. Best was keeping my arms at my sides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom