Ambergris vs Caulker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erincherie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hubby and I are trying to plan a Belize trip for late April or early May. Thank you Southwest for adding Belize to your stops! I've been researching Ambergris Caye but all the talk of filthy beaches covered in garbage has turned me off a bit. I went about 3 years ago with my daughter for a day trip and didn't get that impression, but we were gone on a snorkel trip most of the time and only saw a small bit of the area. We will be doing two tank morning dives every day and likely adding an afternoon or two and a night dive for sure. Afternoons we like to go through pictures, nap in hammocks and wander around to see the sights. I want to stay somewhere clean and in good repair, not fancy, with a kitchenette and AC. I like small boats and DMs that let us dive our computers. I'm wondering if Caye Caulker isn't more our speed. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks for your input.

The beaches on CC and AC will be similar, they are something like 25 miles from each other. AC has more activity, more food and drink because it is more popular. CC is a great deal smaller with less of everything, more of a backpacker vibe. CC is often called gods waiting room. depends on what you want. I know beaches on both cayes are regularly picked up. I wouldnt expect AC tobe different now.

Might have changed since we were there 5 years ago, I think that fishing on the reefs is still allowed at CC. If that is the case then your diving will be better at AC.

CC is closer to the atolls, make sure you get out there. I wouldnt suppose it really matters which caye you go to given you spend all your time diving.

Haven't been to either in about 10 years. AC certainly has more options topside, but I found the more relaxed pace of CC more to my liking.

Hubby and I are trying to plan a Belize trip for late April or early May. Thank you Southwest for adding Belize to your stops! I've been researching Ambergris Caye but all the talk of filthy beaches covered in garbage has turned me off a bit. I went about 3 years ago with my daughter for a day trip and didn't get that impression, but we were gone on a snorkel trip most of the time and only saw a small bit of the area. We will be doing two tank morning dives every day and likely adding an afternoon or two and a night dive for sure. Afternoons we like to go through pictures, nap in hammocks and wander around to see the sights. I want to stay somewhere clean and in good repair, not fancy, with a kitchenette and AC. I like small boats and DMs that let us dive our computers. I'm wondering if Caye Caulker isn't more our speed. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks for your input.

I was on AC in Dec 13 & Dec 14. I saw very little trash on the popular beaches. There was certainly flotsam & jetsam washed up (and not picked up) on the narrow sandy spots between houses way north of town, but not much more trash than I've see some places in the US, and much less than I've seen elsewhere in the world.

The 'sea grass' was thick and very annoying in 2014 -- lots of frequent visitors & businesses were complaining about it (maybe that's the 'trash'), but the hotels & town had workers out raking the sand and taking away truckloads of the stuff daily.

I can't speak about Caye Caulker, but I'd recommend Ambergris Caye (and would go back again). Last time we stayed in the Mayan Princess Hotel. Not really "3 Star", but also way under the published room rate, even during XMas holiday week. Clean, well maintained, good kitchenette, great view, quieter than expected.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom