Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blue 30ft viz at around 80ft depth, cold & surgy @ point lobos today

2nd hand reports. Breakwall 1-3 meters viz, mostly 1 meter.

Pt. Lobos, 30 ft viz in deeper water (50-80). Extreme low tide when I went by, doable, and 2 teams in the water at about 3:30 pm.

I passed on getting wet at BW, but plan on doing so tomorrow at Lobos

"interesting" dive at Lobos today. Alas, the conditions Raftingtigger reported did not last the night. There was a fairly good swell breaking dramatically on the rocks between Blue Fish and Whaler's and lots of wind chop when we arrived. We decided to give it a try anyway, dropping early in the sand channel just to get off the surface. We headed north along the west edge of middle reef checking out the fish hiding from the surge. When we got to a sandy bottom at 75 feet we hung a right, heading east 'til we got to Granite Point wall and turned back into the cove. After the wall petered out we dove on a south by south west heading for a bit. Eventually we found the bottom ascending under us rather quickly, the surge got a lot worse and we encountered a wall we weren't expecting. At this point I was quite uncertain where we were, but was wondering if the swell had driven us into Coal Chute. At this point an equipment failure occurred that we couldn't resolve under water & we decided to surface, stopping at 15 feet for our safety stop. The surge separated us about 1 1/2 minutes into that and I finished my stop with the aid of a tough triple strand of bull kelp at the correct depth. We surfaced within a few feet of each other...sure enough, in Coal Chute!!! The swell was definitely heading into the cove and it took us a while to make headway out of Coal Chute. Crossing Whaler's to the ramp was easier when we got into the lee of the Cannery point wall & we had a harbor seal checking our progress occasionally, just to be sure we got home safe.

Bottom time 57 minutes, max depth 76 feet, viz 15 feet, lots of surge, water temp 54 to 56 F.

Fun as that was, we decided to skip a second dive and had a nice picnic with friends instead.

Just got back from a night dive at north monastery. Vis was around 20ft and water clarity was good. temp was about 53 on my computer which tends to run a little high. 60 minutes, max 77ft depth.
A billion crill messing up my pictures was probable the most notable thing, but it was nice to get about between systems :). No real surge or current to speak of. We went in just after sunset.

It's worth noting that there is a pretty good run off river flowing across where the stairs are. Suite up first if diving dry then go check the waves, otherwise expect wet feet, and didn't like the smell of that water.

Probable my last post here for a while. scuba board has broken taptalk and I guess they won't be fixing it (something about adds). This greatly reduces the utility for me and I might as well just look for updates on FB and wherever else reliable pushes to client.

My what a difference a couple of days makes. Dove Point Lobos today, in the Cannery Point Wall area.

Viz was 30+ feet.
Water temp 54 to 57F
Max depth 52 feet.
Bottom time 43 minures

Not much of a swell, but there was a bit of a current running against us into the cove, so we dropped a little early and tooled around in the boulder fields and channels. Saw a few Lingcod, Copper Rockfish, nice ball-o-tubesnout, and followed a sheephead for a bit.

It was a forgetful day of diving on Saturday. Visibility maxed at probably 10 feet with considerable surge in the shallower areas. I got out to number 13 on the wall. It didn't fare any better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom