Subsee +5 or +10 with Sony RX-100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tubarao

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello

Need advice on choosing Subsee +5 or +10 for using with a Sony RX-100.

I understand +10 will give me greater magnification but I am worry about getting way too close to the subject to get it in focus. On the other hand, +5 will give me less magnification but I won't need to get so close to the subject to get it in focus.

Any advice, please?

Thanks a lot!

+10 for sure. Yes you will be super close and the DOF is very narrow, BUT at +5 you will basically only be able to take fish portraits. With the +10 little nudi's, shrimp, pygmy seahorse etc etc will at least partially fill the frame. With a +% these guys will be a speck on the photo.
I have a +10 and I steal my wife's +7 to get nice and close.

Hey AlMitch
Thanks for the tip

Bumping to ask a stupid question as I'm considering the Subsee lenses as well. I currently have a Recsea 2 diopter macro flip lens for my Canon S100 setup. I use the first lens for fish, eels, etc. and then I trivially flip down the 2nd lens for the smaller stuff. I've really gotten used to this and it's super convenient. My question is....can I achieve the same effect with the Subsee +10 simply by using the zoom or do you pretty much leave the zoom all the way in and focus from there by getting closer to/further from the subject?

I dont have a subsee lens, so can not be sure if it works like mine, BUT mine does allow you to zoom in and out, so if a slightly bigger critter comes into play I can zoom out to get more of it in the shot.

My question is....can I achieve the same effect with the Subsee +10 simply by using the zoom or do you pretty much leave the zoom all the way in and focus from there by getting closer to/further from the subject?

I find if I am using macro add-on lens I am on max zoom as that is getting the most from the lens's magnification. If there is a 'larger' subject I remove the macro and hence should improve quality/focus.

The sony RX100 has a seriously rubbish macro ability. So if I zoom out a tad (with the lens still attached) then at least I'm getting some of the additional magnification from the macro lens. Obviously there is a point when I may as well take off the lens and just use the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom