BP/W for Young Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The option from Diverite is superior to the options from DSS for sure.

Check here to find out who the dealer is for the UAE:

Authorized dealers, dive shops, internet dealers: Dive Rite Dealers

based on what? for reference the Dive Rite kid program gives you new shoulder pads for the Transpac or Transplate as you grow into them, it's a nifty program to allow for proper fit, though I would still go with DSS for the small stainless steel plate since you mentioned BP/W

My 11YO daughter (4'-10" and about 80 lbs) has one of the fabric travel plates from Oxycheq with one of their 17# razor wings (no longer made). She is neutral with 3mm neoprene on so she doesn't need the additional ballast that an aluminum or steel plate would provide. The one piece harness is infinitely adjustable so it is easy to fit her.

I'm a 5'4" female and dive the Halcyon Aluminum Size Small BP. It works well for my height and for those who are shorter than I am.

It is also both strong and light for travel. Its great to hear you all may take Fundies together. How fun :). I am GUE trained & love diving my system :). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of "you stink/no I don't, you do" bickering type of posts have been removed, along with any quoting them. Please try to answer the question posed by the OP and act like adults. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

There are a lot of options available from different brand names. If you call (815) 267-8400, you can talk to someone who can walk you through those options and find what is best for you.

For smaller divers that are likely to continue growing there is a way to thread most plates so that it does not ride too low on them. It does put the top of the plate a little higher but it does work. I've done this for two customers who bought set ups for their kids. A year later we rethreaded the plate since, as kids tend to do, they grew several inches.

We also have to remember that these are kids we are setting up for their first BPW most likely for OW dives with no overheads. Is it ideal? No, but at the same time unlike a jacket BC, you won't have to go out and buy them a new one in 6 months or a year. Small plates are nice. Before they were being made though, there were plenty of shorter divers using std plates with no issues at all.

Special sized plates are great. However, like a pair of boots or set of fins, do you really want to drop 150 -200 bucks on plate that may be too small for them in a year? I tell parents to never spend more than 75.00 on a set of fins for kids. 50 is better if they can.

So if a 90.00 aluminum plate will suffice to start out with, it will also serve them a lifetime unless they turn out to be half sasquatch and need an extra large plate. But by that time they should have a job and be buying their own gear.

So if a 90.00 aluminum plate will suffice to start out with, it will also serve them a lifetime unless they turn out to be half sasquatch and need an extra large plate. But by that time they should have a job and be buying their own gear.

I am looking forward to that last part, Jim. The fabric plate my girl uses is smallish, has good buoyancy characteristics for her and it was free as I already owned it. So I got the trifecta!

A note about the height concerns. My wife is 5'3 and has a standard-sized aluminum Dive Gear Express plate that fits just fine. So it's not unrealistic that one would fit your daughter well, depending on her torso length and how soon she grows another inch or two. (The DGX combo is a good deal too, $299 for what's proven to be a nice quality rig.)

For smaller divers that are likely to continue growing there is a way to thread most plates so that it does not ride too low on them. It does put the top of the plate a little higher but it does work. I've done this for two customers who bought set ups for their kids. A year later we rethreaded the plate since, as kids tend to do, they grew several inches.

Do you have a diagram of how you thread the plate for short divers? It may come in handy for an upcoming dive buddy of mine:wink:.

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom