Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey,

Just seen a teaser for the new Scubapro Hydro Pro BCD, of course you cant listen to all the hype but apparently this is a game changer with some pretty cool new features and materials used.

I'm in the market for a new BCD, I was going to get a wing type for when I want to move into more 'tech' diving. I wonder if this will tempt me into a purchase?.

I would be interested to see if there are any detailed pictures, reviews or feedback on here?.

Yet to see or hear anything about this that warrants "game changer" status being bestowed.

But hey, it does have the word "PRO" in the name which is important.

Why does every discussion on this board have to degenerate into BP/W versus other BCD's!!! It is so pathetic.

Are you suggesting that those that use, understand, and have benefited from Back Plates and Wings self censor? If so why?

Tobin

You have NO idea of the BP/W options available in Europe that are also CE certified and miles ahead of DSS.

Being in Europe myself, I have seen a lot of EU brands of wings. Every time, the comparison result in my mind was either "this one is as solidly built as my DSS" or "looks nice, but the materials are not on the same level of quality with my DSS". You can build complicated details, but they usually mean more failure points. I appreciate the simplicity of DSS and the way everything is like a tank.

Speaking about miles ahead, I haven't yet seen any other backplate with plastic protection for the harness. I have changed my harness only once, because 7 years ago I thought I will never have a drysuit, but half a year later I bought it, so my harness was too short. A lot of my friends replace their harness every 2 years because they are cut by the backplate.

The only issue with DSS - just to be 100% fair - is that the inflator itself is the very basic plastic thingy (which is found on most of the wings). I haven't replaced it, but I don't like it also, as it got stuck 2 times even with proper cleaning and yearly maintenance. But as I said, most wings use the same, so cannot really complain.

Btw, Tobin, speaking about the inflator - have you ever considered building a replacement button for the inflator, which would be shaped like a mushroom (T shape) head? This way, if it ever gets stuck, you would be able to pull it out and continue to operate it until the end of the dive (just that instead of pushing and allowing it to return, you would push and then pull back on the T head). I have never seen this idea built in real life, but to me it sounds like a very cool feature to add. And you do have the skills to build such custom things..

Being in Europe myself, I have seen a lot of EU brands of wings. Every time, the comparison result in my mind was either "this one is as solidly built as my DSS" or "looks nice, but the materials are not on the same level of quality with my DSS". You can build complicated details, but they usually mean more failure points. I appreciate the simplicity of DSS and the way everything is like a tank.

Speaking about miles ahead, I haven't yet seen any other backplate with plastic protection for the harness. I have changed my harness only once, because 7 years ago I thought I will never have a drysuit, but half a year later I bought it, so my harness was too short. A lot of my friends replace their harness every 2 years because they are cut by the backplate.

Thanks for the kind words.

The only issue with DSS - just to be 100% fair - is that the inflator itself is the very basic plastic thingy (which is found on most of the wings). I haven't replaced it, but I don't like it also, as it got stuck 2 times even with proper cleaning and yearly maintenance. But as I said, most wings use the same, so cannot really complain.

Btw, Tobin, speaking about the inflator - have you ever considered building a replacement button for the inflator, which would be shaped like a mushroom (T shape) head? This way, if it ever gets stuck, you would be able to pull it out and continue to operate it until the end of the dive (just that instead of pushing and allowing it to return, you would push and then pull back on the T head). I have never seen this idea built in real life, but to me it sounds like a very cool feature to add. And you do have the skills to build such custom things..

Interesting idea. We use a standard generic inflator, the corrugated hose and inflator being the only parts of our wings we don't manufacture inhouse. My recommendation is to keep a spare cartridge valve rebuilt, lube and sealed in a plastic bag to allow one to change it out in a minute or two without removing the inflator if the button gets the leas bit sticky. That won't how ever help as you noted if the valve does stick under water. I will consider it. We shall call it the "Victor" :)

Tobin

I'll be buying one as soon as they ship. The "game changer" name is warranted. I dive a bp/w for personal diving and a jacket when DMing for classes.

This is NOT a jacket style bc. It'll be on the market within a couple of months. I work for an SP dealer, so i have to be familiar with the line.

All I'd ask is to not judge while you know nothing about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom