Best "bare bones" liveaboards in US/Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The M/V Spree! :wookie:

It's not so small, and also makes Cuba trips. It's a divers' boat, not a floating hotel.
Are we bare bones? I try not to be, except for the Cuba trips and trimix trips, everything is included....

Are we bare bones? I try not to be, except for the Cuba trips and trimix trips, everything is included....

Oh HELL no! :eek: The Spree has *everything* a diver could want! Professional service, great food, comfy digs, . . . I meant a diver wasn't paying for the pretty stuff that pads the cost. I won't stay in a Hilton when there is a La Quinta or such available.

I didn't keep in mind the thread title - I would not take a 'bare bones' operation, because I would then wonder what else they skimped on that could reflect on safety. :hugs:

I'd really like to go on a liveaboard - BUT my snoring is horrible and I'd get dumped overboard by anyone nearby.

Snoring is a problem. Have you tried CPAP or Breathe right strips? Losing 30 lbs worked for me, but that's a lifestyle change. Hard to chase.

Reactions: Jax
I didn't keep in mind the thread title - I would not take a 'bare bones' operation, because I would then wonder what else they skimped on that could reflect on safety. :hugs:
"bare bones" has different meanings to different people, but I'm thinking most divers don't include skimping on safety in their definition

Reactions: Jax
"bare bones" has different meanings to different people, but I'm thinking most divers don't include skimping on safety in their definition
I question if most divers even think about safety in their choices. I've seen a lot of people go with what is cheapest . . . . brings to mind a dive boat that was a 'glass bottom' boat. The 'bottom' blew out and the boat sank. (Cozumel)

A lot of people I know are all about the looks - penny-wise and pound foolish! They have a fancy room with a queen-sized bed and if they are really diving, they hit the room and are asleep immediately. :shakehead:

As for me, it is just about the dive. There is a LDS in NC that has a bunk house for $20.00 a person with a group of 6 or more. I would have rather used the bunk house instead of the hotel that charged me around $86.00 for one night. Maybe I am so easy due to having over 2 years on the water on Navy ships whit very piss poor sleeping conditions as well as piss poor food. Just because the boat does not have all the bells and whistles it does not equate to poor safety procedures and equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom