In Cairns 9-12 July - your recommendations requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I have booked the holiday of a lifetime, but I fear I have made an error. Based on all my research, it appears that day trip scuba tours are pretty disappointing. So I ask for your help - is their a day trip that is awesome scuba; or, do I have to look at live aboards? Can anyone recommend a 2 day, 1 night live aboard charter? All help appreciated.

Nothing to fear. The day trips are a bit "meh" in my opinion (although they're not terrible, and if it's your only chance to dive the GBR...), but there are overnight options available to you. Best person to ask will be AquaPro, who will be able to answer all your Cairns questions, including about availability. Good time of year as well, as it'll probably still be minke whale migration time :)

Thank you for your prompt reply, WetPup. So I go to the AquaPro website and they offer 3 2 day/1 night options: Ocean Quest, Kangaroo Explorer and Blue Dive in PD. The TripAdvisor reviews are almost scary for the first 2 and Blue is $3300 for the 3 of us. My dream is slowly fading into a nightmare. I'm PADI Instructor, and dived from Hawaii to Belize to Aruba to Florida. It seems to me that there is a race to the bottom in Oz to lower prices to attract more customers, and the huge expenses of trying to operate a small business in Oz is resulting in diminishing quality. $10K for 3 people and I am afraid to go diving. How very sad.

I totally understand your concerns (and spare a thought for those of us who live here and have to pay obscene prices for everything)...Australia is an expensive destination fullstop. Be thankful that you didn't travel here when the Australian dollar was above parity with the US dollar.

This is just the way things are in Australia. You will pay $250-300 per person for a day trip to the reef. Enough people pay it, so they're not exactly struggling for customers. It's a bucket list item for so many people, so they'll pay whatever it takes to get out there.

Thanks WetPup :) and I do agree with your sentiments about the $.

Scubarobert, there are many options for you and if you did go to our web site it shows 3 day 2 night as well as 2 day 1 night options for the trips. Only Ocean Quest and Kangaroo Explorer offer the 2 day 1 night option. OQ is more upmarket and offers different prices for different cabin types, whislt Kangaroo Explorer is cheaper with one price for all cabin types.

Blue Dive in Port Douglas is over priced. Stick to the 2 above if you really want a 2D 1N option, Get one more dive on OQ as well compared to KEX.

As WetPup said July is Minke migration and although it sounds like its going to be well out of your budget, but the trips that visit the Ribbon Reef areas (Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom) are the best the Reef has to offer especially at this time of the year. However you are looking at AUD$1,500 + per person and thats assuming you can get a place. They book up months in advance for the whale dive trips.

Ocean Quest and Kangaroo Explorer still offer good options with a variety of sites and do provide not bad value for money, (transfers included gear etc). If you are not bothered about cabin types or boat then go Kangaroo Explorer (6 dives) as its the cheapest and price includes the Reef Taxes.

Thank you Aqua Dive. The 3 day is a day too long for our flights (arriving Cairns 9 July mid day, leaving early 13 July).
We can squeeze in a 2/1. Whales are not critical. Dives over 15 feet in a living reef instead of sand bar is job #1. OceanQuest dives Norman and Saxon. Kangaroo looks like they dive Thetford, Elford, etc. From a quality dive perspective, what is you point of view? Also, do you have a number I could Skype with you?

There are links on our site where you can get details of each dive site for these boats. That will give you a better idea of each place. Did you find that. I have PM'd you so we don't tie up the thread.

Ummm, how the Hell do you PM these days on the new site LOL.
I sent you a message and started a conversation so hopefully you will get one of them

dunno mate. I get your pms as a board post, but its private.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom