Muskoka, Ontario Canada Wooden Boat Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trevormclay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone, for those of you that don't know where Muskoka is in Canada it is located about 1.5 hours north of Toronto and is described as the Hamptons of Canada. The Muskokas have a rich boat building history dating back to the late and early 1900s. As a 23 year old man these old wooden boats are a history piece that I've grown up seeing driving along the lake just cruising along. Although this summer I now have a interesting piece of history of my own. My farther is a Muskoka history lover and refuses to see these old wooden boats destroyed, instead he has purchased multiple old wooden boats to save them from the fireplace. By doing this we have met some interesting and wonderful people. One of which is a local muskoka man Matt Fairbrass, who for 10 years searched the lake with side sonar to find a lost crashed World War 2 plane (Nomad). He finally was successful in the search (article is located her Planes Crash into Lake Muskoka - A True Story :: Muskoka Ratepayers' Association :: Muskoka, Ontario, Canada )
After purchasing my own piece of Muskoka history Matt was volunteering his time to assist me with the rebuilding efforts (he is the wooden boat mechanic in the area). By doing this I began discussing the history of the boats as well as other things located in the lake. He informed me of a few weaks he located in the lake in safe diving depths. The first one that I've now dove 3 times is a old Ditchburn Muskoka boat 27 feet in length. We know it was built within 1910-1915 due to the way the word was cut and the grooves. I am the first person to see the boat in person since it was purposely sunk in 1930-1940. Although some of you are wondering how this is treasure by now. Let me explain something..........The value of a Muskoka boat is priceless to many people in the area but Ditchburns that have been redone correct are worth north of $600,000. By our estimate it would be about 200,000$ to completely rebuild the boat (including bringing it up from the bottom). Here is a video i did quickly with my go pro this past summer, as you can see in the video the original white paint is still on the boat. This is not uncommon for Muskoka as the water at this depth is hovering around 50degrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwTq8ZqcO7c

If people are interested in learning more about any of the treasures of Lake Muskoka feel free to contact me.

As a note to divers everywhere, there could be interesting artificates in your local area. Just ask around and dive safely.

I would suggest that prior to attempting to raise this or disturb it in any way you familiarize yourself with the relevant provincial laws and regulations.

This is a good place to start:

Marine archaeology

I would suggest that prior to attempting to raise this or disturb it in any way you familiarize yourself with the relevant provincial laws and regulations.

This is a good place to start:

Marine archaeology

Yeah if we decide to raise it (unlikely) we would probably hire a salvage company to assist!

Interesting... I have a home in Muskoka and before settling here, was a cottager for many years. I have dived the big lakes (Muskoka, Joe, Rosseau, Skeleton, Fairy, Peninsula, and Mary) as well as many smaller ones, and have always been pleasantly surprised by what's down there.

Applaud your enthusiasm but suggest you think long and hard before attempting to salvage a wreck... 1) Costly 2) Lengthy restoration process 3) Legal issues aplenty.

By all means document your finds. Take a course in UW videography Check out this dude https://www.facebook.com/petebucknell?fref=ts) and perhaps consider an UW archaeology program... Welcome to the Nautical Archaeology Society website | Nautical Archaeology Society

Good luck

There really is plenty to see, I don't see us bringing it up from the dead but this upcoming summer I will be diving plenty more, i shot that with my GoPro with less than ideal equipment (i was holding it with my hand on a string) since then I have stepped up from equipment to a 1600 lumen video light, Ys-03 strobe and RX100M2. Hoping to dive plenty of boats this summer!

Muskoka really is a beautiful place isn't it !

I think that there would be no issues in raising a recreational vessel. There was a sleek run about boat Wa Chee We or something like that that was scuttled in the 30s or 40s and was salvaged in 2004 and restored.

I think that there would be no issues in raising a recreational vessel. There was a sleek run about boat Wa Chee We or something like that that was scuttled in the 30s or 40s and was salvaged in 2004 and restored.

What do you base that advice on? Are you conversant with Ontario Marine Heritage Guidelines? I'm not, but suggest caution... An email to Archaeology@ontario.ca may answer the question definitely for you rather than guessing.

I have read the the guidelines and rules quit a bit. The heritage act does not state anything about salvage of recreational vessels lost on inland lakes. We had to jump through hoops trying to get a permit to locate the Jane Miller lost somewhere in Colpoys Bay.

A wooden boat hitting the surface for the first time in eighty years is going to start to immediately drying out. If you don't have a definite plan (and permitting) in place, the wood is going to start to dry and shrink and deteriorate.

I am new to Scuba Board. But have been diving in Muskoka off and on for the last 30 years.
Best dive was the steamship in Lake Muskoka. I will be up next August and would be interested in diving the boat you found.
All the best
Tommy

Back
Top Bottom