SJCam Confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

So I decided for my upcoming vacation and future diving I want a camera since I don't have one, and having one that goes underwater is a bonus! I was suggested gopros by a friend, but I am worried that for the hefty price tag and since I will be a new diver with one I don't really want to lose it to the water. As an alternative I found the SJCam and I am looking at the 4000, some reviews of it on scubaboard and youtube seem to be pretty equivalent to gopro for 1/3 the price, beyond the video being only slightly more blue it will work fine for me (given I am no pro and just want a cam).

the problem: I am looking at ordering it now and I have found 2 websites very similar to eachother that both say they are the SJCam site.
1. SJCAM Action Camera - New way, new world! - SJCAM.COM
2. SJCAM Official Website | SJCAMHD.com Action Cameras, Accessories & Support

The Second one looks more lijit but how can I be sure, I might turn to amazon if I can't determine which is which and just make sure I have the SJCam logo on the front.

Hey Slym,

I was at the same predicament as you last summer and since it was my first action cam I decided to go with the cheapest one. Cheapest but definitely not bad since my SJ400 with Wifi proved to yield really good results. (Used it for 4 scuba dives and multiple snorkelling/ freedive sessions)

Am not sure which of the sited is legit but I will attach a photo of mine!(bought it from a local, highly regarded store)

Attachments

• 1455239842883914324962.jpg
    1455239842883914324962.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 40
Nice! And amazon is a bit more but I might go with that just so I know my knock off gopro is an authentic knock off gopro. I was about to ask which store you got it at, but I saw you are in Germany, I'll take a look around my area but I don't think there are any retailers.

Do you use the red filter at all for your dives? I have seen videos that switch between no filter and red I think I might get it.

Nice! And amazon is a bit more but I might go with that just so I know my knock off gopro is an authentic knock off gopro. I was about to ask which store you got it at, but I saw you are in Germany, I'll take a look around my area but I don't think there are any retailers.

Do you use the red filter at all for your dives? I have seen videos that switch between no filter and red I think I might get it.
I dont have a red filter yet but I will definitely try one this summer.

I have an original HD Hero which has served me well, but I was looking for something with a LCD. The newer GoPros seem to be all over the map in terms of features, and one thing in particular is to me a step backwards - integrated batteries in most of the models. That plus the creeping prices has caused me to hold off upgrading.

Today I said to heck with it and ordered a 4000 from amazon.ca for $150 CAD taxes in, two extra batteries and charger. I figure it is worth a shot.

Consider the Activeon CX Gold. I had a SJCam 4000. It died and the photos sucked. Seeking service from SJCam on the failed unit elicited the reply that the guarantee did not cover underwater use. The Activeon is far better built. I used it last week on Bonaire and the results are great. No leaks, no fogging, big LCD, wifi, 1080/60, 16MP. Very nice.

Consider the Activeon CX Gold. I had a SJCam 4000. It died and the photos sucked. Seeking service from SJCam on the failed unit elicited the reply that the guarantee did not cover underwater use. The Activeon is far better built. I used it last week on Bonaire and the results are great. No leaks, no fogging, big LCD, wifi, 1080/60, 16MP. Very nice.

CX Gold I see online is double ($320) on Amazon before taxes and without extra batteries. Closer to GoPro territory.

LOL. If I don't like it I can continue to use the GoPro. My diving is not about video, it is incidental.

I prefer to spend my money on my actual diving.

Is it real 1080 though? I know the SJ4000 says its 1080 but only doubles up the frames lol

If I were to go the route of the Activeon I would probably get the CX model, and you have to get the waterproof housing separate right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom