Questions for OWD instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Digg, where is this shop?

but I fear for my own (monetary) safety since my report to SSI alone was enough for the instructor to threaten legal action to me for having fouled his shop's name towards the main headquarters, so not fully knowing how laws go I'm scared of losing even more money by being liable of counter-advertisement
I don't have any idea about the laws in your area, but you would have nothing to fear here. In fact, if you were in this country, I would recommend that you call SSI and tell them that you were threatened with legal action when you reported it before.

I don't have any idea about the laws in your area, but you would have nothing to fear here. In fact, if you were in this country, I would recommend that you call SSI and tell them that you were threatened with legal action when you reported it before.

I don't know, follow sense doesn't always go together with laws. Also given the mellowest possible action/conversation SSI had with me, I don't think they could care less.

It's been many years since I was an instructor but a couple of random thoughts....

If an entire class contacted a training agency and all told this same story, I'm sure the agency would have to do something serious.

If an entire class goes to open water training dives and no one successfully meets standard, the instructor is the one who failed. They failed not just as an instructor to prepare their students for OWD but failed to recognize that the students weren't ready for open water.

It's been many years since I was an instructor but a couple of random thoughts....

If an entire class contacted a training agency and all told this same story, I'm sure the agency would have to do something serious.

If an entire class goes to open water training dives and no one successfully meets standard, the instructor is the one who failed. They failed not just as an instructor to prepare their students for OWD but failed to recognize that the students weren't ready for open water.

Unfortunately I may have been the only one who reported this since most students gave in to buying more dives (and so complied with the scam) and the fewer ones who didn't probably just got lost or never thought about calling up SSI.

Are there any tips (if there are any, though I'm probably asking for too much, too easy to fake being fine before you're selling) you'd suggest to spot if other instructors I may talk with about referral are trying to scam me too?
Also is it suspect that from SSI 2016 standards I read that scuba skills update has a required minimum of 1 pool session while another instructor I've contacted insists it has to be done in open water?

I don't understand how swimming without mask is apparently required for scuba skills update (from the videos I see on SSI webpage) while it should be a divemaster requisite and not an OWD one (in fact we've never done it, just taking off and putting mask back on).

I'd gladly do more pool sessions for scuba skills update (less costs) than 1 open water session. Yeah it's all about money and living up in the mountain tops, driving for half a day just to get at a (relatively dirty) sea.

Thank you

I don't understand how swimming without mask is apparently required for scuba skills update (from the videos I see on SSI webpage) while it should be a divemaster requisite and not an OWD one (in fact we've never done it, just taking off and putting mask back on).

This is your LIFE you are writing about .. . .

Losing a mask is one thing a lot of divers freak over, leading to too-rapid ascents and panic.

If you are swimming along, and some cuts in front and kicks your mask off, you should be able to do the following:
-- recognize what happened and calm yourself
-- continue to breath without the mask
-- note where the mask went, and (hopefully) swim to it (hopefully in that it doesn't go too deep, too fast)
-- put the mask on and clear it.

Losing a mask is one thing a lot of divers freak over, leading to too-rapid ascents and panic.

Realistically, losing a mask underwater is a very low probability.

However, the inclusion in training courses of drills and skills that develop diver comfort in air-depletion and water-in-face (especially up the nose) scenarios is an invaluable facet of pro-active, preparatory, stress management.

Water in the eyes/up the nose... and any momentary loss of air supply are the two things most likely to spike diver stress. Thankfully, the diver can be conditioned to accept that these experiences are not life-threatening, or even harmful. It is a process of acclimatization and understanding.

Having your face in the water... or water up your nose.... is a sensation that can be confused with drowning. Experiencing that sensation and learning that it is not drowning decreases the stress associated with it. Water in your nose doesn't prevent breathing from a regulator. If you can breathe, you are safe. Discomfort is not the same as near-death.

The same applies with air depletion. This is something I have to occasionally overcome even with tech level students. The symptoms manifest as a rushed, stressed, approach to regulator swapping, shut-down drills etc. Being without gas for a few seconds can be enough to trigger a stressor reaction. The issue can be resolved in a few minutes, once identified... you just need to remind the student that they won't die in 30 seconds without gas.... and show them that in practice.

Realistically, losing a mask underwater is a very low probability.

Interesting. I've had my mask kicked off a couple of times, and seen others have it happen to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom