Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoP, the tape I believe you are referring to is called retro-reflective. Most reflective stuff bounces off at the angle that it hits the surface, however, retro-reflective bounces straight back no matter the angle it is hit from. Think Stop signs at night. RetroReflective is also used on safety vests and other gear. Good stuff.

I think you guys are right. There is a gridlike pattern so no matter what angle light hit it.. it reflects back. I also put some Solar blankets in vacuum sealer we have for foodstuff. Again easy to carry and someone here ages ago said the solar blanket has a good radar reflective property. The blankets need to be vacuum sealed as they will lose the silver if they are wet for extended periods of time. Again something small and easy to stow in a pocket and forget about unless needed. Just another component...

Solar blankets are really good at keeping food warm too. LOL. Used one once when we had a bunch of pizzas for a party and no way to keep them warm. So we wrapped the lot in the blanket!

Oh, and solar blankets can be bought at your local discount store in the camping aisle for a couple bucks...

Solar blankets are really good at keeping food warm too. LOL. Used one once when we had a bunch of pizzas for a party and no way to keep them warm. So we wrapped the lot in the blanket!

Oh, and solar blankets can be bought at your local discount store in the camping aisle for a couple bucks...

Exactly. One of the cheapest saftey items out there. There was a case a couple winters ago here where someone who was lost in the bush in rugged terrain was found because he ripped up a solar blanket and tied the strips in the branches of a tree... that is what the search helicopter spotted!

Reactions: D_B
Thanks for your thoughts and your perspective .. especially the "let them know what you have" part

Welcome to ScubaBoard, Navy :D

one thing I would add is that your mirror be a signaling mirror , the kind with an aiming hole/sight .. makes it much easier to aim

I carry always ... signal mirror, whistle, light, SMB, spool, knife, and I will be getting a strobe to put in my unused trim pocket (lol, rocket launcher :) )

This question comes up often and I've saved what I think are best/most often referenced sites ...

A very good, if long, read on rescue trials conducted in real world conditions in the Scapa Flow ... probably my favorite
... How far can you see me? ... Diver location trials: Introduction

.. Surface Survival Primer ... Surface Survival Primer

.. Equipped to Survive ... EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm) - SIGNALING GROUP and the rest of the website is a treasure trove of info ... Survival Gear and Equipment Evaluations - EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm)

CD's are less than effective for or anything related to signaling

Green lazers are illegal in Australia. Too many morons were aiming them at incoming aircraft pilots and blinding them. In such densly populated areas it is hard to locate the user and nobody wants to think about the potential of an airplane with a visually impaired pilot at the controls!

Reactions: D_B
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom