5mm wetsuit rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soonerwatch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Headed to Bonaire on tuesday. My dive buddy who is on the island now is reporting that he's cold in his 3mm suit. I was hoping to rent a 5mm on the island but divefriends and wannadive only rent shorties as best as I can tell from their website.

Has anyone had luck renting a 5mm suit? Or at least a full 3mm? I was trying to buy a 3mm on amazon but too much trouble finding the right size. I guess I can scramble around this weekend and try and buy one locally but we don't have tons of selection where i live

I've never seen a 5mm rental on Bonaire, and usually only see shorties for rent (e.g., Buddy Dive).
You might try taking a (5/3) hooded vest with you to put on under a 3mm full suit.

I went all over the island last summer trying to rent a 5mm when my drysuit zipper failed. The only way you can get one on Bonaire is to buy one. When we were there it was unseasonably cold. Instead of doing 5 or 6 dives a day, it was a struggle to do 4 in a full 3mm and a beanie. One lady was wearing two 3mm suits and a hood.

If you want to rent a full 3mm, Goodive has new wetsuits at reasonable rates. As the previous poster mentioned, a lot of shops only have shorties.

I have since gone to taking a 5mm everywhere without a hood. However, the suggestion to use a hooded vest and a thinner wetsuit is one that I would like to try as packing a 5mm is somewhat bulky. My wife actually dives with a 3 mm shorty and a 7 mm hood.

If you're cold, you won't enjoy the diving and I think that's what its all about.

I don't know where you can rent a 5. If you decide to buy, Bruce Bowker usually has a good selection.

... However, the suggestion to use a hooded vest and a thinner wetsuit is one that I would like to try as packing a 5mm is somewhat bulky.

Try one of these ( http://www.amazon.com/Hyperflex-Wet...TF8&qid=1421764298&sr=1-7&keywords=polyolefin ). I use 2 of them under a 3mm to dive Lake George where the second thermocline runs in the low 40's.

It's absolutely compact. Under a 3mm it's as warm as a 5mm without the bulk, it's totally flexible, and even better - it's non buoyant, so no added lead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom