Pull detached from dump valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Laconic

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
FIrst time diving my HOG wing today, and I managed to rip the pull right off the dump valve. Disappointing.

Any idea how to fix it? I saved the pull, so I figured I'd just superglue it back onto the valve.

unscrew the valve and push the string through the hole, (might have to remove the rubber seal first), figure eight knot, reassemble and you should be good to go.
All this assumes you just broken or pulled the string through. Pretty simple fix then.

I'd use the opportunity to get a DSS valve...... IMHO, it's a much better design, and screws right on....

I'd use the opportunity to get a DSS valve...... IMHO, it's a much better design, and screws right on....

That is not a bad idea--thanks. Still, I have to do something right now.

unscrew the valve and push the string through the hole, (might have to remove the rubber seal first), figure eight knot, reassemble and you should be good to go.
All this assumes you just broken or pulled the string through. Pretty simple fix then.

I'll check that out, thanks. On the boat, I couldn't see how to do that, but maybe it will be clearer in the cold light of my condo.

[UPDATED]

AHHHH FANTASTIC! I didn't realize the rubber seal could just be pulled out. Problem solved.

In two replies I got an immediate fix and a longer-term solution. Thanks, internet people! :)

Last edited:
Before you do all that, inspect the string. Is it undamaged?

Then, put a drop of super glue on the figure 8 knot when you reattach. It won't come loose again. Make sure the glue is on the cord and only on the cord. Don't reassemble wet.

Before you do all that, inspect the string. Is it undamaged?

Then, put a drop of super glue on the figure 8 knot when you reattach. It won't come loose again. Make sure the glue is on the cord and only on the cord. Don't reassemble wet.

The string is undamaged. Super glue is a good idea.

These DSS valves are sweeeeet. DSS is really genius at this kind of thing. Unfortunately, they don't fit on my HOG wing (the thread is much less fine on the HOG wing), which is the one I had the problem with, but they fit on my xDEEP Zeos and Stealth just fine, and the thicker pull string is better put to use on those wings anyway. Two out of three ain't bad.

These DSS valves are sweeeeet. DSS is really genius at this kind of thing. Unfortunately, they don't fit on my HOG wing (the thread is much less fine on the HOG wing), which is the one I had the problem with, but they fit on my xDEEP Zeos and Stealth just fine, and the thicker pull string is better put to use on those wings anyway. Two out of three ain't bad.

That's interesting.... I have an "older" (about 3 years old) HOG doubles wing, and have a DSS valve on it. Wonder if they changed something recently....

Will the DSS valve fit a Halcyon wing?

Back
Top Bottom