Mares Smart vs Oceanic Geo 2.0

• Mares Smart

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oceanic Geo 2.0

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I read the smart you can't switch gases during your dive only on surface

At first that might seem like a non-issue. Normally, you are only going to be doing gas switches if you have proceeded to tech training and are doing deco dives. In which case, you're very unlikely to be using either of these computers to track your gas/tissue loading anyway.

But, on a Recreational dive, if you jump in, descend to 10 or 15 feet and pause to get "combobulated" (as my tech instructor likes to say), look at your computer and realize you're diving Nitrox but your computer is set to Air, it is nice to be able to just change it, rather than have to go to the surface first. This has actually happened to me more than once, thanks to the Oceanic "feature" of switching back to Air exactly 24 hours after the end of the last dive.

But, on a Recreational dive, if you jump in, descend to 10 or 15 feet and pause to get "combobulated" (as my tech instructor likes to say), look at your computer and realize you're diving Nitrox but your computer is set to Air, it is nice to be able to just change it, rather than have to go to the surface first. This has actually happened to me more than once, thanks to the Oceanic "feature" of switching back to Air exactly 24 hours after the end of the last dive.

More of a procedural issue than anything else. That's the problem with "mental" checklists.

Underwater gas switching is really a non-issue for recreational divers, assuming they properly configure the gas mix in the DC prior to splash. Checklist, checklist, checklist.

I have owned the Geo but not the Mares. Comparing the specs it looks like functionally they are very similar. The biggest difference I see is that the Geo gives you a choice in algorithms and the Mares is solely RGBM. For you, this means that with the Geo you will have more control of your dives. Many divers find they have less bottom time on the RGBM. If you are an older diver or have certain health issues this may be a good thing. If you are young, healthy and want to maximixe your dive times, you will want the Geo.

From what I read the smart you can't switch gases during your dive only on surface
I would go with the geo myself
If this is true it makes the multigas function is pretty much useless. I think I will try and find the owners manual on line and take a look.

If this is true it makes the multigas function is pretty much useless. I think I will try and find the owners manual on line and take a look.
Nope. A quick look at the owners manual shows that the mutigas function is similer to other multigas computers in the same catagory. The gas options for the dive must be entered before the dive and enabled but switches are possible at the appropriate depth for the switch. And looks like there is an alarm to tell you when it is appropriate to switch. Not too different from the Geo or even the Cressi Giotto for that matter.

I just purchased a fully unlocked Dive Rite Nitek Q from Dive Gear Express for $399. More computer than I need, but able to do more if I decide to get into tech.

More of a procedural issue than anything else. That's the problem with "mental" checklists.

It's also a problem with the Oceanic 24-houir reset feature.

As I alluded to before, it has happened to me 3 times. I set my FO2 while on the boat, on the way to a dive site. I got in the water anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes later. I started my descent and realized that my computer was set for Air.

That is because my computer resets to Air when the Surface Interval clock hits 24 hours. 3 times I've had the bad luck/timing that my 24 hour clock from the end of my last dive the day before occurred just a few minutes before I got in for the first dive of the next day.

It's a (stupid!) feature of some (or all?) Oceanic (and Aeris and Hollis?) computers.

So don't dive nitrox and you'll be fine. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom