Radar-reflective SMB or Safety Sausage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know this is an old thread, but it is also the latest one I can find on the radar detectable SMB called the Seeker. The last post says its a DEMA and that's it, but they are selling them on their website. Has anyone tried one? I realize you probably can't test the radar reflectiveness, but how about as an SMB?

Any info? Do they even sell it in the US?

Considering, as others have said, even making a small boat show up as a blip in the open ocean can be hard, is this really a feasible idea? Won't even a sausage be too close to the surface of the water, especially in rough conditions, to show up on radar?

Maybe a better option, would be a small AIS transmitter for divers? Of course you'd have to get over the current hurdle that you can only register a vessel, not a person.

From the sticky: Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view:

As a side note I have seen some things advertising radar reflectors. Several of the Navy and Coast Guard Helicopter have radars (specifically the SH-60 B and R SeaHawks and the Coast Guard Jayhawk) All of which are very sensitive. I have picked up Dolphins at 15 miles, 3/4 submerged 55gal drums from 40miles and other small objects from over 60miles. The actual reflectivity of these items is not known but I would be checking out any returns I got if I knew you had something radar reflective. I was actually thinking about carrying a small (or piece of a)space blanket which would not take up much room but could (probably) give off large returns. But the searchers MUST know you have it or they might think you are a boat if the return is large enough.

Custom Divers, the maker of the Seeker SMB claims 1.5 miles for surface craft and 2 miles for air craft. I don't know how they came up with that data, but I will take radar detectable over not just in case. Particularly because of Navy OnStar's comments in the quote above.

What is an AIS? I have a PLB (personal locator beacon) in a water proof canister. It is registrable to people or ships.

I'll take diving from my own boat, and knowing I set the hook, and won't leave without me.

Here you go. Way better than I could explain it. Currently only registrable to boats and required on large ships. But it's a type of technology I could easily see adapted for this purpose.

What about a transponder, a small portable one like on a airplane?

CDs are fine maritime radar reflectors, given the correct orientation to the transmitter and elevation above the waves.

CDs: The Ideal Surface-Detection Aid?

Elevation above the surface may be more important than correct reflector geometry. Tinfoil hats beat out dedicated radar reflectors in the following test, due to elevation:

Radar, Reflectors and Sea Kayaks: A Visibility Study

The suggestion for CDs at the top of a SMB was inspired by this excellent post on a spearfishing board:

Lost at Sea...survival equipment discussion

My thought was that his CD array could be improved as right-angle radar reflector with a bit of jigsaw cutting.

On reflection (er) considering the sea kayak article, its possible the lightest and most flexible emergency radar reflector would be a crumpled space blanket (those aluminized mylar emergency blankets), tied with some extra line to the top of an SMB. For daytime aerial detection the blanket could be cut into strips and tied at corners to make a budget RescueStreamer, and some could be used as midday shade to avoid sunburn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom