Mares Smart vs Oceanic Geo 2.0

• Mares Smart

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oceanic Geo 2.0

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's also a problem with the Oceanic 24-houir reset feature.

As I alluded to before, it has happened to me 3 times. I set my FO2 while on the boat, on the way to a dive site. I got in the water anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes later. I started my descent and realized that my computer was set for Air.

That is because my computer resets to Air when the Surface Interval clock hits 24 hours. 3 times I've had the bad luck/timing that my 24 hour clock from the end of my last dive the day before occurred just a few minutes before I got in for the first dive of the next day.

It's a (stupid!) feature of some (or all?) Oceanic (and Aeris and Hollis?) computers.
I agree. It's my least favorite feature of Oceanic computers. I think it is a hold over "safety" feature from the introduction of nitrox. Almost as irritating as the FO2 50 default feature but at least you are given the option of cutting that one off.

It's also a problem with the Oceanic 24-houir reset feature.

As I alluded to before, it has happened to me 3 times. I set my FO2 while on the boat, on the way to a dive site. I got in the water anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes later. I started my descent and realized that my computer was set for Air.

That is because my computer resets to Air when the Surface Interval clock hits 24 hours. 3 times I've had the bad luck/timing that my 24 hour clock from the end of my last dive the day before occurred just a few minutes before I got in for the first dive of the next day.

It's a (stupid!) feature of some (or all?) Oceanic (and Aeris and Hollis?) computers.

After 24 hours, Oceanic computers consider you fully desaturated and starting a new dive series. The FO2 is also reset to the default value of air.

Personally, with over a 1000 dives on Oceanic computers, I've never had this reset occur between checking my computer FO2 predive and diving, though I'm sure it could happen. I don't think it is a good habit to dive on a new day without checking the gas settings on your computer(s)

Agreed. Either way the diver should check the settings prior to the dive. But its nice to have the gas numbers set until changed, especially on computers with Multigas options or multistep functions to make changes.

Having the gas preset does not/should not negate the need to confirm before splash.

I also like having the confidence that my dive computer will stay on my settings rather then revert to settings a programmer thinks may be safer for the average diver.

Last edited:
I also like having the confidence that my dive computer will stay on my settings rather then revert to settings a programmer thinks may be safer for the average diver.

It's not that it's safer for an average diver, it's just how it works out. As a programmer you get to choose between people who always dive the same % nitrox blaming you for resetting to air, and people who don't always dive the nitrox blaming you for not resetting to air. What you want is user-settable "default" gas the the DC reverts to after a reset. That way the users can go blame themselves for not setting the default they like. But that requires adding another layer of code and that comes with direct costs -- unlike a few less satisfied customers -- so you don't see it in low-end devices.

Now, given that you damned either way, you might as well set the default on the side of caution and call it "a feature".

I don't think you will have reliability issues with either. I have a Mares and 4 different Oceanics and they are all reliable. I had a minor firmware issue with a VT4. Like scubadada, I like the dual algorithm of the Oceanics. The RGBM used by Mares in my experience is reasonable and not, for example, crazy conservative so you are ending dives for your buddies. I'm not sure I would make my decision based on the algorithm in this case, but perhaps it is important to you.

Thank you for this. My diving days are pretty laid back, maximum 3 dives per day each with a maximum of 45min bottom time and an usually 2 hours between each one. As a result I won't be basing my purchase on the algorithm. (I have also found that the Smart has 2 more conservative modes beyond the standard RGBM)

Nope. A quick look at the owners manual shows that the mutigas function is similer to other multigas computers in the same catagory. The gas options for the dive must be entered before the dive and enabled but switches are possible at the appropriate depth for the switch. And looks like there is an alarm to tell you when it is appropriate to switch. Not too different from the Geo or even the Cressi Giotto for that matter.

Thank you for finding that out!

Underwater gas switching is really a non-issue for recreational divers, assuming they properly configure the gas mix in the DC prior to splash. Checklist, checklist, checklist.

Exactly! I am a beginner recreational diver with my current goals just getting really good with recreational dives and some freediving. It will be years until I decide to follow a technical diving approach and I will probably find a better DC when that time comes.

P.S. I don't know how ridiculous this will sound but I am wondering if it makes any difference and if I need to consider it that the Oceanic Geo 2.0 is a 2010 model (almost 6 years!), while the Mares Smart is a 2014.
(This would probably also suggest that not a lot of people have bought the Smart yet, thus the limited user experience)

Last edited:
Thank you for this. My diving days are pretty laid back, maximum 3 dives per day each with a maximum of 45min bottom time and an usually 2 hours between each one. As a result I won't be basing my purchase on the algorithm. (I have also found that the Smart has 2 more conservative modes beyond the standard RGBM)

I think this concern of some people is that the RGBM is too conservative and there isn't a way to make it less so. DSAT, on the other hand, tends to be more liberal and you can "dial it back" if you want to make it more conservative. That said, I have dived both the Mares RGBM and "wide open" DSAT together under a variety of conditions and on certain repetitive dives, the Mares is slightly limiting relative to DSAT, but not enough (for me at least) to be annoying (and maybe that minor limiting is good?). If you are diving as you say, I don't think you will notice and even if you were more aggressive, I doubt it would be a problem. Again, I think this is probably a selection factor, but not a major one if it were my decision. If I liked the Mares better for other reasons, I would go with that. Likewise, the Oceanic.

I think this concern of some people is that the RGBM is too conservative and there isn't a way to make it less so. DSAT, on the other hand, tends to be more liberal and you can "dial it back" if you want to make it more conservative. That said, I have dived both the Mares RGBM and "wide open" DSAT together under a variety of conditions and on certain repetitive dives, the Mares is slightly limiting relative to DSAT, but not enough (for me at least) to be annoying (and maybe that minor limiting is good?). If you are diving as you say, I don't think you will notice and even if you were more aggressive, I doubt it would be a problem. Again, I think this is probably a selection factor, but not a major one if it were my decision. If I liked the Mares better for other reasons, I would go with that. Likewise, the Oceanic.
Exactly. I dive very conservatively as well but have read too many posts from other divers that got rid of their RGBM dive computers for just this reason. So I do include this in my review so the diver can make an informed decision.

So as the op noted and you clarified, you can make the RGBM more conservation but not less so. And too as you said, with the op's current diving it will be a nonissue.

To the op. The Geo is a 2010. Is it used?

If you are diving as you say, I don't think you will notice and even if you were more aggressive, I doubt it would be a problem.

So as the op noted and you clarified, you can make the RGBM more conservation but not less so. And too as you said, with the op's current diving it will be a nonissue.

To the op. The Geo is a 2010. Is it used?

Yes my current diving days have, 90% of the time, 2 dives with 40m bottom time.

No both models are brand new. It's just that I am wondering whether it makes any difference that the Oceanic is a much older model than the Mares. For example buying other electronic devices, a younger model, even from a different manufacturer, is often preferred. Is it the same in this case?

No both models are brand new. It's just that I am wondering whether it makes any difference that the Oceanic is a much older model than the Mares. For example buying other electronic devices, a younger model, even from a different manufacturer, is often preferred. Is it the same in this case?
Ah. In this case no. You have the excellent track record of the Geo with no significant advances in form and function between the Mares and Geo.

Ah. In this case no. You have the excellent track record of the Geo with no significant advances in form and function between the Mares and Geo.

Thank you for this. Since the Geo 2 is so highly regarded and as you say there are no significant advances between the two I think I am leaning towards the Oceanic.

Anyone knows if the screen of Geo 2 has a good contrast and is easy to read?

EDIT: probably an important think that I did not mention is that the Oceanic will be an online purchase, while the Smart will be from a local store. Is this something to consider? In case I need service..

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom