Discussion of dive incidents in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been split from another which has been moved to the Accidents and Incidents forum. They would not be allowed under the rules for that forum. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Only the other tourists on that boat would possibly discuss it. Operators and other businesses might discuss it among themselves, but not to tourists.

I have had private conversations with several operators in Cozumel over the years regarding accidents. It seems there is an unwritten code that you do not talk a lot about them to the public. It is a very tight group with a lot of competition. Outing an unsafe operation is signing your own operation's death warrant.

A good example is the big story a couple years ago when that female instructor died and her DM was paralyzed doing a bounce dive to over 300 feet. Many people, operations wise, it seems knew they did this kind of crap. Yet no one said anything to anyone in a position to stop it.

As a result that one day one man's life was changed forever and his family put in real economic danger. A woman died and her family devastated. Just as bad was the fact that valuable resources were tied up to aid two people doing something stupid and a real accident victim could have also died because those resources would not have been available for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
"A good example is the big story a couple years ago when that female instructor died and her DM was paralyzed doing a bounce dive to over 300 feet. Many people, operations wise, it seems knew they did this kind of crap. Yet no one said anything to anyone in a position to stop it."

I remember that dive well....except for the passage of time and impact on my recollection. There was a third diver as well. Unconfirmed reports is that someone..maybe the third diver... suggested that down currents were responsible for the depths encountered. That was a huge (huuuuuge) discussion point for a while. I think that a few people cancelled trips to Cozumel because of it.

I do not recall if we ever heard factual information on the depth reached by the two who were paralyzed or died.

In this event, do not be surprised if we never hear details of what happened between the last time the person was seen and when she was discovered to be missing.

I remember that dive well....except for the passage of time and impact on my recollection. There was a third diver as well. Unconfirmed reports is that someone..maybe the third diver... suggested that down currents were responsible for the depths encountered. That was a huge (huuuuuge) discussion point for a while. I think that a few people cancelled trips to Cozumel because of it.
Yes, I knew the instructor who died and had dived with the DM and the "boyfriend." There were no down currents involved. Just some bad choices.

Yes, I knew the instructor who died and had dived with the DM and the "boyfriend." There were no down currents involved. Just some bad choices.

Yes, the "down currents" were complete fabrication by the boyfriend and I don't recall any cover up. Indeed there was lots of Scubaboard discussion as I recall. Being one of those that donated generously to the DM's recovery I don't think others went untreated because of the event.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS If other operators posted every dumb thing they see this board would be aflame in minutes.

PS If other operators posted every dumb thing they see this board would be aflame in minutes.
dreadlocks.gif

This is probably an inexperienced question but how does one become paralysed while diving?

I don't think dive ops are trying to cover up incidents. It's just that they have to be very careful to speak only about what they know to be factual and there are typically lots of unknowns in these incidents. If I speculate that a diver dies because of DM negligence or faulty rental equipment, and it turns out to be completely false then shame on me but so what? What real harm will I suffer because a dive op's reputation was tarnished and the dive community is upset with me? My livelihood doesn't depend on the dive industry in Cozumel. I could quit these forums and quit going to Coz and my life would go on just fine. On the other hand, a dive op could suffer serious repercussions such as loss of business, lack of cooperation from other ops, legal lawsuits, or perhaps even regulatory problems.

Unless you know the true story & all the variables none of us can properly discuss or analyze someone else's accident /incident. The dive ops here can't say things on public forums based on rumors nor past history for good & bad reasons Some would have negative things to say "because" while others would realize the implications of saying something taken as fact which later proved to be wrong but is now all over the internet.

This is probably an inexperienced question but how does one become paralysed while diving?
Severely bent from a deep bounce dive ending in out of air ascent.

Here's a link to the long thread called Scubamau diving accident.

The version I remember is that Opal intended to do a very deep bounce dive, but went a good deal deeper than intended (there was speculation perhaps narcosis was a factor). Gaby went after her to rescue her. She later died; I don't know what kind of shape he ended up in.

But let's be mindful Opal owned the dive operation, and Gaby was on staff. The people involved should've known what they were getting into, and chose to take the risks.

My point is, when we talk about the safety of a dive op., I think it's often from the perspective of the potential customer...would this dive op. be unsafe to dive with? I don't recall any complaints of unsafe dive practices with the regular customers.

Another example would be technical diver Doc Deep's fatal extreme dive off St. Croix. The dive op. that supported his effort may get some criticism, but I wouldn't assume them to be unsafe for me to book a dive with.

As for competitors making accusatory claims against each other, there's obvious conflict of interest. And it's not the competitor who performs the investigation; it'll be the authorities, or maybe the courts (e.g.: law suit). What does a competitor have to go on? Second-hand sources like newspaper accounts & rumors?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom