Is this what I should usually expect? (long, advice requested)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lest we assume too much knowledge of jargon, the term "cattle boat" is a disparaging term that some divers use to refer to a boat on which divers might feel like they are being herded like cattle. You can look up previous threads in which people have debated the precise definition, but the gist of it is the feeling of being herded like cattle. For example, in some instances the boat is large, every seat is filled, all divers are required to follow a divemaster, and the ratio of divers to divemaster(s) is high. Of course, a large boat does not by itself mean anything. The boat may simply be spacious. Even a large boat with every seat filled may not leave divers feeling herded like cattle: In some places in the world, it is not the norm for a divemaster to even accompany divers, which means you and your buddy can go off and dive in peace.

The terms "cattle boat" and "six pack" are sometimes used to refer to the opposite ends of the spectrum, as though those are your only choices. In reality, there may be other options in between. Do your homework and choose dive ops to fit what you prefer.

I appreciate all of the responses, thank I didn't mention specifics because I don't think I need to get anyone in trouble over this; there were parts that were uncomfortable for me but I have no perspective on how much of that is just my inexperience. It's not that I was ever super anxious or scared; there were just a lot of things that I didn't expect and some that I didn't particularly like.

But yeah, ok, this was Topdive in Bora Bora. I did plenty of research before diving with them. They have a 4.5 star rating on TripAdvisor, though many of the comments also mention people feeling like they were rushed through the dive. There are plenty of raves, though, as well. That's part of why I couldn't tell if I was misinterpreting things. I read a lot of the newbie threads on these boards, trying to get a feel for what to expect, and I made sure to let TopDive and the DM of the day know that I was very new - I was actually pretty comfortable with diving in general.

The certification was the Polynesian Shark Diver cert, which they assured me would count as a adventure dive toward my Advanced Open Water.

I'm in a landlocked state, so I guess I'll be practicing in local lakes for a few more dives; the lake diving was extremely cold in January, but it was also really easy compared to this.

The certification was the Polynesian Shark Diver cert, which they assured me would count as a adventure dive toward my Advanced Open Water.
This sounds like a distinctive specialty and many of those don't count towards AOW. Probably also explains why you got the card after 1 dive - I always thought of these as novelty or souvenir cards as opposed to skills development. I believe most of the PADI/SSI specialties that count towards AOW tend to be at least 4-5 dives and are far more involved than following a DM.
Wifebuddy and I got an Aquarium Diver card after doing 1 dive in the Baltimore Aquarium Atlantic Reef exhibit and were specifically told that it would NOT count towards AOW.

. . .They have a 4.5 star rating on TripAdvisor, though many of the comments also mention people feeling like they were rushed through the dive. There are plenty of raves, though, as well. That's part of why I couldn't tell if I was misinterpreting things. I read a lot of the newbie threads on these boards, trying to get a feel for what to expect, and I made sure to let TopDive and the DM of the day know that I was very new - I was actually pretty comfortable with diving in general. . . .

I generally don't give as much credence to Tripadvisor reviews as I do to reviews on dedicated scuba sites like Scubaboard and Undercurrent, where the reviewer's previous experience is evident and can give me an idea of what the reviewer's expectations and abilities were. A very new diver might rave about it, oblivious to various shortcomings. A very experienced diver might be oblivious but for a different reason: despite the "follow the divemaster" admonition, the experienced diver--say, a serious photographer--might hang out behind the group and sort of do his own thing, unbothered by the herd and oblivious to the divemaster harassing the marine life. Or more likely, a divemaster might give more latitude to a group composed only of experienced divers who choose not to bunch themselves so close together. So you have to get a feel for where an individual reviewer is coming from. However, judging from the few minutes I just spent perusing TopDive Bora Bora reviews, I don't think you misinterpreted. They don't appear to have "cattle boats." The reviews are indeed mostly favorable, even from very experienced divers. I would chalk it up to misfortune. Maybe there was a large group of inexperienced divers visiting that week, or TopDive had a recent change in staff, or something like that. They seem to have multiple locations around French Polynesia. As for the dive computer issue, I suspect the reviews are mainly written by people who have their own gear.

Don't let it put you off. I can't recall a trip with as many issues as what you describe. But then again, I may be oblivious to some things that you noticed.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I've been lurking here for a little while and you seem like a helpful group, so I figured I'd jump in with a ridiculously long and probably boring essay about My First Recreational Dive and get some feedback :)

I got my Open Water certification about a month ago and went on my first real recreational dive last week. It wasn't really what I was expecting, and I wonder how normal this experience was. I'll preface this by saying that my Open Water instructor was terrific -- very methodical, communicative, safety-conscious, and environmentally responsible, so this was my mindset going in. I regret that this might come off sounding like a litany of complaints - overall, I came out still thinking that the ocean is amazing, and people are kind and mean well, and scuba can be super fun, and I can't wait to go again. But... :D

Madam, you were blessed by your OW Instructor. You have fabulous instincts of what is right and wrong. Trust them.

The only thing I can add is that you felt rushed. NEVER let them do that to you. Demand your computer be set to imperial.

Lastly, copy this to a letter and send it to the shop. Someone needs to know.

Comments, advice?

Laene,

I'm new at this also but wanted to comment on a few aspects of your post.

Years ago, I was involved in aviation, and your litany of woes brings back memories of many of the reasons I quit flying aircraft -- hearing one thing over the phone and running into quite another when showing up, poorly maintained equipment, safety problems being glossed over, operators being excessively controlling. If I had it to do over, I wish I would have purchased an aircraft of my own early on. Financially it would have worked out the same in the end and I wouldn't have dealt with half the nonsense.

I've applied those lessons to diving by purchasing my own gear. To be sure, a dive op could conceivably still screw up a trip, but no matter what happens, I will have gear that I know inside and out, that has been checked over by others who I trust and by me. There will not be any leaks when I get in the water because I have spare parts and tools and if there's something I can't fix I'll thumb the dive. My gear will always fit me. My dive computer will always show depth in feet.

Good gear need not be expensive. Scubaboard is full of advice in this regard, most of it good.

I hope your next dive is a better one.

I'm sorry, but they are mistaken. That is not a PADI Adventure Dive that counts toward AOW; it is a Distinctive Specialty that gives you a certification that counts toward Master Scuba Diver, but I'm sorry it does. You need five full specialty classes (and 50 logged dives and a Rescue certification) to apply for MSD, and it is a shame that following a DM around for one dive can be one of those five specialties! I hope you enjoyed the class, but it is over now and best that you put it behind you.
This sounds like a distinctive specialty and many of those don't count towards AOW. Probably also explains why you got the card after 1 dive - I always thought of these as novelty or souvenir cards as opposed to skills development. I believe most of the PADI/SSI specialties that count towards AOW tend to be at least 4-5 dives and are far more involved than following a DM.
Wifebuddy and I got an Aquarium Diver card after doing 1 dive in the Baltimore Aquarium Atlantic Reef exhibit and were specifically told that it would NOT count towards AOW.
Actually, NONE of the distinctive specialties counts toward AOW. The only dives that count are the full-fledged Adventure Dives, which are:
Altitude Adventure Dive
AWARE – Shark Conservation Adventure Dive
AWARE - Fish Identification Adventure Dive
Boat Adventure Dive
Deep Adventure Dive
Digital Underwater Photography Adventure Dive
Diver Propulsion Vehicle (DPV) Adventure Dive
Drift Adventure Dive
Dry Suit Adventure Dive
Enriched Air Adventure Dive
Multilevel and Computer Adventure Dive
Night Adventure Dive
Peak Performance Buoyancy Adventure Dive
Search and Recovery Adventure Dive
Sidemount Adventure Dive
Underwater Naturalist Adventure Dive
Underwater Navigation Adventure Dive
Underwater Photography Adventure Dive
Underwater Videography Adventure Dive
Wreck Adventure Dive​
These Adventure dives are each the first dive of a full specialty class, which is 2-4 dives depending on the topic. The distinctive specialties (there are many) might have zero to 1 to 2-3-4 dives required; those with dives count toward MSD.

Part of it is probably the shop. Part of it is probably your inexperience. You saw some cool stuff in spite of it, so it's all good.

Let's face it. The shop has a schedule to keep. They probably have no idea how good or bad any of the divers on their boat is. They are herding kittens and often make do with what they've got. That's not to excuse them, but if you understand this going in, you can mitigate the effects that they will have on you.
  • Be assertive. They don't have to set up your gear, so tell them not to. They are trying to make things fun for you, but they are failing if it makes you uptight. Just say "no".
  • Be proactive. This is where "hurry up and wait" is a good thing. Obviously, you don't want to really "hurry up"... just start early. I try to be the first person ready for the dive even before we leave the dock. That takes planning and being assertive with setting up my gear. I'm not afraid to ask someone to buzz off while I prepare. Even my honey bunch. Once I'm all set, I can relax and socialize. However, once the ten minute warning is given, I'm all business again. Obviously, if you lollygag and are trying to throw things on before you splash, you're going to feel rushed and even forget things. I'm not saying that this happened to you, but it can have an impact.
  • It's not your job to keep up with anyone. It's their job to not leave you behind. This goes for DMs and Dive buddies. Communicate this to your DM (and buddy) before the dive. Tell them you've got a bone in your leg and can't kick all the time. :D If they rush off, you should have a good idea of the plan so that you can have fun on the dive. Be sure to carry a sausage and a spool. Learn how to deploy this from depth. That way, the captain will know where you're at. Remember: it's OK to go slow. It's a big ocean and you're not going to see it all in one dive, so why try?
  • Get mentored. Yeah, you might live in a land locked state, but so do a lot of ScubaBoarders. Seek them out and you'll have a lot more fun diving as a group and learning from more experienced divers. We're having a huge dive up in North Florida on April 1st at Ginnie Springs. I'm certain it's not the only dive being planned right now, but we'll probably have over a hundred peeps come to have fun and learn from each other.
thinking I'd somehow lost control of my buoyancy and was kicking coral, but no, it was always a human.
OK, this made me laugh out loud. Mselenaous and I were quite happy that you kicked the humans instead of the reef.

About your ear: you might have been too aggressive in clearing it. I caution my students to gently clear their ears when they get up in the morning. After all, why get ready for the dive if you're having issues with your ears? That would be frustrating as heck to expend all that energy only to injure yourself or have to climb back on the boat after not being able to descend. Then when you do clear, extend your chin upwards and rock side to side as you gently try to equalize. Tucking your chin into your chest closes off your Eustachian tubes while extending your chin opens them up. BTW, I'm not a medical doctor: I fix sick Networks. But I've seen this in a number of newbie divers on the boats here in the Keys where I live.

good advice but I am glad that we will not be at Ginnie 1-4!

Welcome to SB!

This was a great detailed first post and I look forward to reading your future posts.

Strongly suggest you take a dive vacation with a dive op highly rated here on SB where you and the dive op are highly fluent in the same language. Two obvious candidates are Roatan and Cozumel, but there are plenty of others.

This will let you work with the DMs and develop as a diver under much better circumstances. And it will be way more fun.

Back
Top Bottom