Question about NAUI AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I definitely have to study the NAUI dive tables beforehand, probably buy them this week. As far as diving before the AOW course I'm hoping to get some dives in at Dutch Springs in April.

NAUI Dive Tables

If that helps... Not sure you need to buy them.

If you don't have Enriched Air cert yet, be sure to include that with your AOW. I don't know about today, but NAUI used to require two dives for Enriched Air cert. These can be combined with the dives required for AOW.
Yeah, I want to add NITROX. I put a down payment on the AOW course, but haven't decided which certs I want to add. I have until May 19th.

If you don't have Enriched Air cert yet, be sure to include that with your AOW. I don't know about today, but NAUI used to require two dives for Enriched Air cert. These can be combined with the dives required for AOW.
NAUI no longer requires dives for EAN. Mine was buy study materials (book, comes with a table I think). Study, take a brief class at LDS, 100 question test, do a gas analysis at LDS, get card. I don't see what doing dives would add.

Honestly, I think they should just add the EAN curriculum in with the regular "Scuba Diver" class. I understand why padi/ssi/etc don't. Those others are for profit moneymakers, and having a separate class increases profits. NAUI is supposed to be not for profit, so they should do what makes sense here and turn EAN into a chapter in the OW book.

NAUI no longer requires dives for EAN.

I just looked that up here - NAUI Courses - Seems like you can get a recognition card (whatever that is) without the dives or the certification card with the two dives. Since either card will allow you to dive Nitrox, I would recommend that you get whichever fits in with your plans. If you are doing the AOW, you will already be doing six open water dives, just do two of them on Nitrox and you're covered at no additional expense. If you take your Nitrox training while enrolled in another course, many instructors will offer the Nitrox course at a lower cost.

Just to be in compliance with NAUI's course naming standards; it is "Advanced Scuba Diver" course or "ASD" NOT "AOW." The NAUI "ASD" course is more complete and "Advanced" than the other people's courses.

NAUI doesn't use the terms "OW" (Openwater Diver) or "AOW" (Advanced Openwater). NAUI's entry level scuba diver course is called: "Scuba Diver" (SD) and the next course up from the "SD" course is called: "Advanced Scuba Diver" (ASD).

Just to be in compliance with NAUI's course naming standards; it is "Advanced Scuba Diver" course or "ASD" NOT "AOW." The NAUI "ASD" course is more complete and "Advanced" than the other people's courses.

I stand corrected - Thanks for pointing that out.

I just looked that up here - NAUI Courses - Seems like you can get a recognition card (whatever that is) without the dives or the certification card with the two dives. Since either card will allow you to dive Nitrox, I would recommend that you get whichever fits in with your plans. If you are doing the AOW, you will already be doing six open water dives, just do two of them on Nitrox and you're covered at no additional expense. If you take your Nitrox training while enrolled in another course, many instructors will offer the Nitrox course at a lower cost.
NITROX is additional, just got an email from the dive shop. Doesn't matter to me, I'll just do NITROX later.

NAUI doesn't use the terms "OW" (Openwater Diver) or "AOW" (Advanced Openwater). NAUI's entry level scuba diver course is called: "Scuba Diver" (SD) and the next course up from the "SD" course is called: "Advanced Scuba Diver" (ASD).
I didn't know that, thanks for the correction.

This is true ... it's also jargon. I choose to use the more recognizable terminology simply so that my audience will understand what course I'm referring to.

I'm not so sure that NAUI's ASD offering is any more "advanced" than anyone else's. I took my AOW from the YMCA in 2001, and when I became a NAUI instructor three years later I was surprised at how little their ASD manual actually had to offer ... so much so that I wrote my own materials for the class. The only part of the NAUI ASD manual that I felt did a pretty complete job was the Search & Recovery chapter. Most of the rest of it is essentially a review of the SD (OW) material. Like most agency offerings that I've seen, the agency-produced materials basically caters to the largest demographic, which is the tourist diver who will be accompanied by a dive guide who will watch over them, set up their gear, and remind them to check their air from time to time. It's (IMO) completely inadequate for people who will be responsible for planning and executing their dives without assistance .. particularly if they're doing deeper dives.

The biggest failing, not just in NAUI's material but with every agency I've seen, is that they tell you what you should do but neglect to go into too much detail on how you should do it ... that was the purpose of the material I created and the accompanying dives for the ASD class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom