LIVE from Sharm el Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octopus adrift

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
HI everyone,

i just want to open this thread to give support to anyone willing to visit Egypt or collecting info about Sharm
I live here since 2007, I am not going to say the dive center i work for, i just want to give good advices about Diving, Parties, prices, culture, ecc...
Or if you just have some questions to ask to a foreigner scuba diving instructor who lives underwater since many years in Sharm.. that' s me. :)
THe company i work for has also dive centers in Marsa Alam and Hurgada so i can find out some info about those places too... even tho i have never live there.

Any question is welcome.... i will try to reply as soon as i can.

OK, start typing. Security issues, tourism levels vs. a few years ago, and everything that might be interesting.

Well, taliking about security it always the same.. check points all the way from Sharm to Naama and up to Nabq.
I hope the rised the level in the airport after what happend last year.. it seem now it takes ages to board the plane as they check each baggage and each pocket of each passenger.............
Tourism levels are low as they have never been before, boats are in Travco all day long and they rarely get costumers.
As instructor i can say that i am still able to make a living... they cut our salaries but thay still pay for my accommodation and food so i am cool with that..!
Every day i go to the dive shop but i only work 3 or 4 days.. tha other days i just stay in the shop getting bored or i go to the beach and pools of the resort to try to sell some courses ar boat trips... i hope if they see me with the Staff Tshirt they would ask for something... but there are just 100 guest in all the resort... and resort has 600 rooms... taht means that only around 50 rooms are reserved and around 550 are empty.. that is scary.
We have been able to do one trip with 20 snorkelers and couple of divers last week.. and we hope to do the same thing on friday this week...
THe wors that describes better this period in Sharm is EMPTY... and also a bit boring...
THere are not so many foreign instructors like before so, yeah... boring!
But still a i get the chance to dive on my own diring the lunch brake and that makes me very happy!!!!!

I was in Dahab a year ago and it was already looking like a mass exodus of tourists. I realy enjoyed my time in Dahab as well and really liked the vibe. It's a shame what's happened there.

Hi there - I've been absent from SB for a while but for those who know me - I worked in Sharm for 4 years and although I left 3 years ago, I still have friends there and it remains the love of my professional diving life. I'm also happy to join octopus adrift (do we know each other!?) in giving feedback and advice to people who want to visit Egypt - and especially Sharm - in the current situation.

Cheers

C.

Hi,
Thanks for the posting. I find myself with the unexpected option to got diving 2 or 3 weeks at the end of a trip to England in early May. Sharm el Seikh and the Red Sea always seemed so far away, expensive, and crowded for me (from Canada's west coast), that I didn't think I'd ever have the opportunity. I'd really appreciate any pointers to sites, locations, operators - that don't overcharge solo travelers. I'm pretty easy to please if it's underwater, healthy, and not crowded - has the local marine life decided to stay away because of constant gangs of noisy clumsy divers banging off the coral? Not for me.

I'm not concerned with the political or security situation: after navigating the government and police process to get where I'm going I'm sure to meet ordinary cool folk trying to make a living and happy to meet other ordinary folk looking for friendly good times, including great diving. That is heaven to me. I am of modest means and would love to dive my brains out for two weeks mid-May. I'm fully equipped (minus weights and tanks, and prefer nitrox).

So for good, competent, professional but laid back friendly operators, with hopefully small groups in the water, or ok with photographers diving solo, any suggestions? Or anyone to stay away from?

Thanks trememdously.
Uwe

Camel Diving in Naama Bay (Sharm) might be what you are looking for. I enjoyed diving with them and will again. They are nitrox and photographer friendly.

Have a great trip!

GJS

Hi Uwe,

I second Skulmoski's post - I would normally recommend the centre I used to work for (Sinai Divers) but they are closed for business due to the lack of tourism. Camel (I also worked for them a few times) are one of the only centres still operating - they are very, very good, professional, one of the biggest in Sharm, and cater to all divers from new to Tec. I still have some friends there.

With regards to group size - the maximum allowed in Sharm is 10 divers per guide but most centres also try to avoid this. With the current situation, there's not many divers visiting anyway so groups are likely to be small - but then there's also not many instructors left in Sharm, so it will depend on how many people visit at any given time.

Solo diving is - technically - permissible under local Egyptian regulations but most dive centres won't allow it - and definitely not in Tiran or Ras Mohamed. You need to have a solo certification and proof of experience, but the limiting factor is that "the solo diver needs to be familiar with the dive site". Most centres will allow experienced divers to buddy up together and dive independently on the house reef or some of the Local sites but the only exceptions made for solo diving that I know of were for experienced members of staff, and then only on the Na'ama Bay house reef - although this is absolutely wonderful for photography.

In terms of the diving - Sharm is almost empty, and the reefs are better than they have been in 20 years - facebook posts from the friends who remain there show many more sightings of sharks and manta - but these are not to be expected; you can make several hundred dives in Sharm and not see one (trust me, I know!) and then you hear about a lucky Open Water student who sees a whale shark on their first open water dive!

I worked there for four years (2009 - 2013) so have lots of information if you need; drop me a line any time.

Cheers

Crowley

Hi Uwe,

Solo diving is - technically - permissible under local Egyptian regulations but most dive centres won't allow it - and definitely not in Tiran or Ras Mohamed. You need to have a solo certification and proof of experience, but the limiting factor is that "the solo diver needs to be familiar with the dive site". Most centres will allow experienced divers to buddy up together and dive independently on the house reef or some of the Local sites but the only exceptions made for solo diving that I know of were for experienced members of staff, and then only on the Na'ama Bay house reef - although this is absolutely wonderful for photography.

I think by "solo" he meant a traveler coming by himself and not part of an organized group, rather than literally diving solo. Ask any fish- they'll tell you it is much better being part of a large school rather than trying to make do all by yourself :)

If I understand what he meant to ask, is if he comes alone (and not part of an organized group that booked through an agent back at home), is he going to get charged honestly, or they are going to take advantage of him having no buddies or other alternatives, and extra-charge him..

Or he was asking about diving independently without a guide/dm/instructor as you suggested?

By the way, why independent diving is limited only to "house reefs"? I know there are some places that believe or insist that guided diving is compulsory by law, but as far as I know it is not completely true or there is no such law, other than some recommendations from CDWS or something like that?

Last edited:
Hi Jai Bar -

I just took Uwe's statement: "[dive centres that are] okay with photographers diving solo" to mean solo diving, as in not with anybody else in the water. It's very rare that this is allowed in Sharm.

However - you raise a good point about the solo traveller and I would say that I don't recall any reputable dive centre in Sharm charging extra for solo travellers - the prices are fixed, and there is no "haggling" over the cost, although some discounts may apply for - for example - pre-booked packages, repeat customers, armed forces personnel, fellow instructors and Egyptian nationals. The only problem the solo traveller faces in terms of expenditure is with the hotels, who invariably put a "singles supplement" on the rooms, but this is mostly out of the hands of the dive centres.

I can guarantee this is the case - especially with the big name centres - partly because back in the day before I became an instructor, I was always travelling solo, and also because when I worked in Sharm, I spent a lot of time behind the counter and in the back office, involved with operations and planning, so I'm quite intimately familiar with the business side of things. Also I managed a dive centre in Indonesia... not saying that it doesn't happen in some places, but definitely not in any centre I would recommend.

With the independent diving thing: Part of this is to do with local regulation and partly due to the environment.I don't know if you've been to Sharm but the reefs in Tiran, and some places in Ras Mohamed, especially Shark and Yolanda, are prone to some very powerful currents that can, if you don't know where you're going, push you off the reef very rapidly. It happens from time to time that divers do not pay attention to their guides and get caught in the current and blown off into some very heavy swell - especially in Tiran - but at least with a guide in the water, we know where they were and where they are likely to be when they surface. Also, the CDWS made the senior instructor on the boat solely responsible for that boat. Not the captain, not the dive centre manager - the lead guide (as in, me!). Any accident would therefore potentially result in our prosecution, whether we were at fault or not.

As I say - generally speaking we wouldn't allow anybody to dive independently unless we knew them very well - some of our customers were highly experienced and had been visiting 2 or 3 times per year for 20 years. In this case we would allow them to maybe trail behind the group semi-independently, and allow them to surface unsupervised, but for first time divers, regardless of experience, never. The house reefs and some of what we call the "local sites" are virtually free of current, simple to navigate (lots of straight, sloping reefs) and easy to bail out of in an emergency. In this case we would allow some divers to buddy up and dive without a guide. The house reefs were marked with ropes and buoys so as long as people stuck to an easy-to navigate area, they could surface anywhere and easily swim back to the shore. Diving from the boat we required the divers to be "known" to us, and some divers who might have been allowed to dive the house reef independently were required to be guided from the boat. Most people where quite happy with having a guide - after all, we knew where all the best stuff was!

Mostly it all came down to dive centre policy, local regulations, and instructor judgement. All the big centres in Sharm carry out a continual risk assessment on their divers and give them a "level" which determines where and how they could dive. Level 1 would be: must always be guided, Level 2 was unguided on the house reef, guided on the boat, level 3 divers could dive independently from the boat in the local dive spots but not Ras Mohamed or Tiran, level 4 would be independent everywhere except the Thistlegorm, level 5 was reserved for former members of staff. It seems a bit draconian sometimes but them's the rules, most people were quite happy with it and understood their own personal limitations, most people wanted to dive with a guide anyway, and with one or two exceptions, pretty much everybody was happy with the way things worked.

So that's a very long answer! :D

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom