The Divemaster life?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubachris743

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone! Im gonna give you a little background on me first. 25 years old. Single. Crew chief in the Airforce(3 of 6 years completed). Stationed here in Little rock, Arkansas. Im not looking to work on planes forever tho. Its been a great experience for sure and seen parts of the world many don't. But my mind has always drew me a picture of waking up every morning and doing what I love. To scuba dive! Now to the big question. How is the divemaster life as a career? I know that is a very open question based on a hundred different factors. But I feel like its the perfect career and lifestyle for me. Ive read some articles on it and found it to swing both ways. Some love it and others burn out. I just don't want to go through life wishing I had done something that I truly enjoy and have great passion for. Thanks for all the input as always!

and sorry for the "poorly" written question haha Im going to bed now and wanted to at least get it out here to hopefully wake up to some input. :)

DM "career" seems a bit naive. Keep diving. Why not get your DM or above and try it out on weekends or vacation or whatever ? Crew Chief is pretty good...maybe get a base closer to Florida, Hawaii or California and get some additional experience diving. I think sometimes dive schools sell the glamour and leave out reality. BUT don't quit your regular job on a whim.

Have you heard the joke about the difference between a dive instructor and an extra large pizza ? (One can feed a family of four.)

I am a Dive Master and have done various diving jobs for money. Some were enjoyable but others were brutal, cold and dirty. Really couldn't see doing them into middle age, frankly. Never averaged much money despite occasional big paydays. no benefits etc... Got a regular job, like you have, and dive now for fun with a family i can support.

here in the dive rich world of florida a DM job is.....not a job. We have LOTS of working DMs. BUT very few make their living that way. Get a regular job near the diving areas then come on and dive. ask about crew slots. we have lots of need and LOTS of people doing it.

Scubachris743,

Do your 20 in the Air Force, with your retirement pay you may be able to afford to work in the Scuba industry. Take advantage of training opportunities,
If you have the right stuff go for a special ops CCT assignment that will pay you to dive and jump out of airplanes.

Focus on your pension. Keep diving. Amass high skill and expertise. Learn the dive industry as a hobby. Get qualifications needed in the industry. Retire. Move to the Philippines. Open your own dive shop. Marvel at how far your pension stretches. Enjoy a wonderful life.

get a job as a federal agent. get a lot of different dive experience and become an instructor. then work at that part-time while you DM and teach scuba while living on a barrier island in Florida. wear flip-flops and a swimsuit most days. have a cocktail....

You can make a career as an instructor - if you still have a few years left in the Air Force get stationed in Okinawa to rack up some dive numbers in a great spot. Learn as much as you can about diving -take a few business classes, learn how to make a web page and make yoursef employable in the industry- its more than just knowing how to dive. It great fun and a great way to earn a living. Feeding a family of 5 in one of the most expensive countries in the world teaching diving- it can be done.

Focus on your pension. Keep diving. Amass high skill and expertise. Learn the dive industry as a hobby. Get qualifications needed in the industry. Retire. Move to the Philippines. Open your own dive shop. Marvel at how far your pension stretches. Enjoy a wonderful life.

Isn't the market over saturated in Philippines? Its a popular dive destination so I was thinking too many dive shops already.

Thanks for all the replies. When I first joined the Airforce, the plan was to stay in for the full 20 and retire earlier then most. It really is a great deal compared to many other peoples situations. But...I soon realized that it isn't for me. Don't get me wrong. I'am extremely proud of myself for doing it. Life experiences, friends, finishing school etc. As of late tho, many people are getting out of the military. Some fantastic people/crew chiefs that have been for quite a while and really know their stuff. As some of you have heard if your in the "military circle", the new Airforce is going downhill fast. Becoming a instructor has always been on my list. But first I wanted to to get into the dive industry and learn how everything works. Make the connections. The mind is still brainstorming for the best plan :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom