Has Anyone Tried This BP/W From Dive Gear Express?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Has anyone tried this BP/W from Dive Gear Express?

DGX Custom - Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package

DGX Custom - Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®

I have a student who wants to go with a BP/W but is on a very limited budget. The back plate and harness are fine, but I was wondering about the wing. We live on a tropical island so my thoughts were to get him into something decent and start diving. As his budget get better than he can upgrade equipment if he needs to.

DGX generally sources decent stuff for their house brand. If I were in need of a single tank wing BP/W combo, I wouldn't hesitate to get this.

That's what my wife has. It's a nice rig and hasn't shown any lack of quality. It's not a 'work of art' like my DSS stuff but I think you would still be very hard pressed to wear it out or break it.

Yes, I have that one. :) According to the people at DGX, it's a Dive Rite travel wing, with a DGX logo on it. It's manufactured by Dive Rite in the Dive Rite factory, for DGX. Specifically, Dive Rite BC4100 Travel EXP

Looks good but I would think you would need a STA with that rig.

It has slots to run the cam bands through the backplate.

Yes it does. But in the middle of the slots are two grommets with two assembly screws going through them. This creates a high spot in the center of the plate where a round tank is supposed to be held tight against. If you do manage to get the tank to sit on top of the assembly screws while cinching down the cam bands you will still have a tank that will want to wobble back and fourth. I tried with a similar setup for a few dives before finally giving up and ordering a STA. The only true STA less system I have seen is the DSS rig. Some manufacturers try with plastic tubes sewn into the center part of the wing but you still have this high spot I described earlier.

I wonder if you could just take a piece of webbing, pad the middle to be higher than those grommets, roll up the sides to be higher still and glue/weld it all together into an "anti-wobble" device like what came with my Hollis 25. Seemed to work well enough on the couple of dives I got out of it so far. It's velcroed on, you can remove it when using STA.

There is NO need for STA whatsoever.
Order a pair of PAD for cam strap ($1.75.00 each) from DGX.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom