Looking for suggestions regarding gauges for an occasional diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was hoping to get some advice on purchasing my first set of gauges. Now, I know the whole arguments over computers vs. traditional analog gauges, and I don't want to turn this thread into a rage fest over which is better or worse.

With that said, several years ago I purchased an Apeks ATX 200 regulator from a good friend of mine along with the first stage to go with it and some accessory hoses. She used a computer, but had already sold it separately, so from her set I just got the regulator system. My understanding is that this is a very good regulator and probably way better and beyond what I really need. She only used it twice, so it's basically good as new. I've only gone on 21 dives since my certification 10 years ago, and other than my basic fins, mask, snorkel, etc., I've rented gear including a regulator and gauges whenever I've gone diving. I put the ATX 200 away in my closet figuring one day I'd get some good use out of it, and there was really no reason to get my own gauges since I dive so infrequently.

Well, I've decided to change my mind and get my regulator and gauge set-up because 1) it seems a shame and a waste to have this regulator and not use it, and 2) if I do start diving more, it'll save me a bit of money in the long run.

I live in Northern California (inland), so diving opportunities are not abundant, so unless I figure out some good lakes in the area that I can dive, I'll probably remain a vacation diver. Either that, or I need to find a cost effective way to get out to the coast more often. With that in mind, I'd like to get a nice, simple, old school analog, work horse, no frills, reliable, bomb proof, set of gauges that can sit my closet and just be ready to go when needed. I think going all the way to a computer isn't in the cards right now due to the cost, and that it would become obsolete very quickly without me really getting my money's worth out of it.

So, my question is this. Who makes a good gauge set that I can add to my ATX system at a reasonable price (keeping in mind my requirements above)? I'm open to buying something used as well, and I'm wondering what good gauges that meet what I want I should look out for on the used market as well as what's out there that's new.

I also have a Suunto SK7 compass with the retractable mount system. I bought this because the first couple of times renting gear the shops I went to wouldn't rent compasses on their gauges, so I got my own. Of course, ever since then every time I've rented from other outfits they have had compasses on their gauges, so I've never even been able to use my SK7 (doh!). I'm thinking it would be great to get a 2 gauge console that I could add my compass to if I wanted to (if this is possible), or I could just use the compass on the retractable mount as it is now.

I went onto the forum here under this section to see what the buzz was on current gauges, but I see it's basically all computer talk. I know I'm going against the tide with wanting simple gauges, but for the cost and how much I actually dive, I think it's the best choice for me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm in no rush to get my reg / gauge system put together, after I get the gauges worked out I'll figure out if I want to get a BC with integrated air (which is what I was certified on), or get an octo, but let's leave that for another thread.

the consoles with a depth gauge/spg usually go for pretty cheap used. a lot of the gauges are rebrands from an italian oem. i think the oceanic/hollis ones are the exception. brass gauges are going to be better off than the plastic backed ones. 5000 psi usually signifies a newer gauge, 100 psi vs 250 psi increment is kind of personal preference.

computers aren't really that expensive these days though if you are willing to go used. just maybe a little patience.

octo is just easier to deal with than an integrated 2nd imo.

A couple of things, some directly to your question and some not:

* craigslist for a used console OR computer... keeping in mind that unless a computer is integrated, you will still need a SPG at a minimum.
* if no computer, do you have a watch / bottom timer? are you using tables? If no to these and you are doing follow the DM / trust me profiles, you should revist this for your own safety
* if the regs have been sitting unused for a prolonged period, you should get them checked before putting them back into service
* once you have your setup sorted, why not bring it with you even if doing an occasional vacation dive? Why rent when you have your own?

FWIW, my original intent was to use gauges / watch / tables at first as well. Then my wife bought me a computer (and a watch) for Christmas when I had only asked for a watch :)

Runsongas, thanks for all the great tips.

Gcarter, yes I use a watch and dive tables and I practice using the tables weeks before I do my next dive. In fact, I still have all of my original training materials, and I re-read the training books cover to cover every year or so. In fact, I have a trip to Oahu in 2 weeks, and I'm going through practicing with tables.

I've been checking craigslist, but it seems like everyone wants to see a full set of regs along with their gauges when all I need are the gauges. I'll keep looking though, and hopefully people can suggest good used models to be on the look out for.

I totally agree about having the regulator looked at, before I ever use it, it'll go through a complete overhaul along with any other gear that I might pick up.

The plan is once this is all sorted out, I'll be bringing it along on vacations.

I have the following suggestion to you: first, get just a basic bare metal SPG for your regulator.

Your compass is just the best. But putting it in a console will make it harder to hold. You can either get a bungee mount from deep sea supply (and you can hold it not as a watch on your wrist, but rather over your hand itself, with the thumb going through the bungee) or maybe on a retractor. Later edit: you already have a retractor, that's a nice and comfortable option. The only drawback is in environments with high entanglement risk, but that's not your worry right now, so stick with this nice option.

And finally, get a scubapro uwatec bottom timer. It's the perfect all in one gauge (depth, time, temperature, ascent speed). No worries about the battery: it's not replaceable, it just works 5-10 years then you throw it in the garbage. And buy another bungee mount for it.

This way you will have flexibility and every gauge will be perfectly located for a comfortable use.

Last edited:
I have the following suggestion to you: first, get just a basic bare metal SPG for your regulator.

Your compass is just the best. But putting it in a console will make it harder to hold. You can either get a bungee mount from deep sea supply (and you can hold it not as a watch on your wrist, but rather over your hand itself, with the thumb going through the bungee) or maybe on a retractor. Later edit: you already have a retractor, that's a nice and comfortable option. The only drawback is in environments with high entanglement risk, but that's not your worry right now, so stick with this nice option.

And finally, get a scubapro uwatec bottom timer. It's the perfect all in one gauge (depth, time, temperature, ascent speed). No worries about the battery: it's not replaceable, it just works 5-10 years then you throw it in the garbage. And buy another bungee mount for it.

This way you will have flexibility and every gauge will be perfectly located for a comfortable use.

Vixtor, thank you for the suggestion. I still think I'd prefer just a regular gauge as I'm not sure the cost of buying the Uwatec would make sense if I only ended up using it a couple of times before the battery didn't hold out. I was looking at the Suunto Zoop which is about the same cost and does have a replaceable battery.

Keep the suggestions coming, I'm very interested in knowing more about what to look for in a good spg and depth gauge and if there are any brands in particular look out for or to avoid.

If you need an SPG (submersible pressure gauge), then be aware that most brands all come from the same production line in Italy (Thermo). Only the faceplate branding changes... but that can lead to huge cost variance on otherwise identical gauges.

Other than an SPG, a cheap dive computer covers your requirement for time, depth and no-decompression time info. I've seen the Suunto Zoop on special offers occasionally; around $150. You'd be hard pressed to get a dive watch and depth gauge for that money... and you'd still need to source some tables from somewhere (and dive buddies who'd be agreeable to your tables limiting their dive times...)

If you aren't in a desperate rush... then wait around for the new company, Deep6, to release their computer and gauges this year. Rumor has it that they will be offering a very capable recreational computer at an extremely economical price.

You missed the last year's closeouts and much hyped shiny new deep 6 gear has not materialized, so the cheapest computer now is Mares Puck @ $150. It will keep track of actual -- as opposed to table-guesstimated, unless you're diving only perfect square profiles ever, -- gas loading, as well as accumulated loading over multiple dives/days like on a trip to Oahu. And that's cheaper than scubapro bottom timer. I really don't see a point of not buying a cheap computer, especially if you're vacation-diving and go for multi-day multi-dive trips.

Slim SPGs are about $25 on fleebay, or you can go new for $50. Don't know if you'll need a hose with it. Either way, I wouldn't bother with the full console, they're just drag in the water and dead weight in the luggage.

I frequently dive with less experienced instabuddies. If they are going off tables and timer I will not dive with them unless it is real shallow stuff in the Keys. On a typical dive in this area we will vary between 60 and 85 ft without any idea ahead of time where we will spend the most time. Depends on viz, current, where the action is. Somebody with tables, a plan for 85 ft, and a timer are going to cut my dive time way down. Especially with a newer diver I would feel obligated to follow them up the line and make sure they got on board the boat.

I've always done fine with the Sherwood compact console...and the depth gauge pops right out and my Hollis DG02 puck computer pops right in in it's place...

Back
Top Bottom