Mares Smart vs Oceanic Geo 2.0

• Mares Smart

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oceanic Geo 2.0

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EDIT: probably an important think that I did not mention is that the Oceanic will be an online purchase, while the Smart will be from a local store. Is this something to consider? In case I need service..

It's very unlikely that you will need warranty service (actually, less likely with the geo since it's been out longer and had more time to find and work out all the problems). If you do, the service will probably be done by the manufacturer. So the only question here is who would pay the shipping: you or the store. So I wouldn't worry about it -- but, if everything else's equal, I would consider supporting my local dive shop.

^^^ Exactly. Since you are in Germany I don't know where the closest repair center for Oceanic would be or the shipping costs. The one caveat is if you buy online make sure they are an authorized dealer.

Last edited:
Thank you for this. Since the Geo 2 is so highly regarded and as you say there are no significant advances between the two I think I am leaning towards the Oceanic.

Anyone knows if the screen of Geo 2 has a good contrast and is easy to read?

EDIT: probably an important think that I did not mention is that the Oceanic will be an online purchase, while the Smart will be from a local store. Is this something to consider? In case I need service..

The Geo 2 screen is quite clear and easy to read, as easy as my VT3, which is a little bigger.

You probably have noticed that the Geo 2 is available from LeisurePro for $250, $315 with download cable.

If you do, the service will probably be done by the manufacturer. So the only question here is who would pay the shipping: you or the store. So I wouldn't worry about it -- but, if everything else's equal, I would consider supporting my local dive shop.

^^^ Exactly. Since you are in Germany I don't know where the closest repair center for Oceanic would be or the shipping costs. The one caveat is if you buy online make sure they are an authorized dealer.

Thank you both I will have to consider these things!

The Geo 2 screen is quite clear and easy to read, as easy as my VT3, which is a little bigger.

You probably have noticed that the Geo 2 is available from LeisurePro for $250, $315 with download cable.

Indeed I have noticed that. Also most of the german websites have an almost 30% sale on the Geo 2 and that is why I am trying to swiftly solve my dilemma.

Personally, with over a 1000 dives on Oceanic computers, I've never had this reset occur between checking my computer FO2 predive and diving, though I'm sure it could happen. I don't think it is a good habit to dive on a new day without checking the gas settings on your computer(s)

Agreed. Either way the diver should check the settings prior to the dive.

It's happened to me 3 times and it has never been a case of not setting my FO2 before the dive.

The first time, I went out on a boat, did a dive, and the 2nd dive was blown out, so my 24 hour SI started around 9:30AM or so. I went out on the same boat the next day. I set my FO2 on the way out to the dive site. The first dive site of that day was further out and so it happened that we got into the water later than 9:30. Thus, my computer reset itself to Air before I got in.

The second time, I did a shore dive on a Monday morning. Again, done and out of the water relatively early. My next dive was a boat the next day. I set my FO2 on the way out to the dive site. Again, it happened that we got in the water just a few minutes after the 24 hour clock expired from the end of my dive the day before.

The third time was the very next day. On Tuesday, my boat went out first thing in the morning, so my second dive that day ended a bit before lunch time. On Wednesday, the boat went out later, so that people could do a shore dive in the morning before the boat left. So, again it happened that I set my FO2 on the way out, but this time the boat didn't go out until 10 am. So, by the time we got in the water my 24 hour clock ran out and my computer reset to air.

In all 3 cases, it was obviously a case of unfortunate timing. But, I don't think any of my scenarios are especially far-fetched.

Now, given that you damned either way, you might as well set the default on the side of caution and call it "a feature".

I don't see how the OEM would be damned if they left the FO2 setting on whatever the diver set it to. Who is going to dive Nitrox one day and then air the next and complain that they had to change their computer setting from FO2 of 32 (or whatever) to Air?

For people who don't dive Nitrox, this "feature" doesn't do anything and is meaningless. For people who dive Nitrox, why would any of them want it to automatically change their setting after 24 hours? What would make Air a more valid setting to change it to than whatever setting it already had?

For people who don't dive Nitrox, leaving the FO2 set wherever it is means it stays on Air and that is fine for them. For people who do dive Nitrox, leaving the FO2 set wherever it is is also the desirable behavior.

This "feature" of Oceanic computers is stupid and not being able to turn the feature off - like you can with the Default 50 setting - is even more stupid. This feature is WAY more likely to cause a diver to dive with an FO2 setting that does not match what they are actually using than simply leaving the FO2 set to whatever the diver set it to. Or so it seems to me.

I don't see how the OEM would be damned if they left the FO2 setting on whatever the diver set it to.

Because when a full reset happens, for whatever reason, there should be a hardcoded default that it resets to. Even if you keep diver's last settings in a non-volatile storage so they'd survive power loss, there still has to be something for when they haven't set their "last" FO2 yet.

A glass of water on the night table in case you wake up thirsty and an empty glass in case you wake up not thirsty -- that's how binary computers work. If you wake up and there is no glass, that's a third option and it'll take a whole 'nother kind of computer to deal with it.

Because when a full reset happens, for whatever reason, there should be a hardcoded default that it resets to. Even if you keep diver's last settings in a non-volatile storage so they'd survive power loss, there still has to be something for when they haven't set their "last" FO2 yet.

A glass of water on the night table in case you wake up thirsty and an empty glass in case you wake up not thirsty -- that's how binary computers work. If you wake up and there is no glass, that's a third option and it'll take a whole 'nother kind of computer to deal with it.
I'm not sure I understand your point but the Oceanic computers are the only ones I have owned that do this. Both my Cressi and Petrel leave the gas setting as is until changed by the user with no reset time restriction.

It's happened to me 3 times and it has never been a case of not setting my FO2 before the dive.
It's happened to Eric at least twice. Now he will only set it on the boat.

I'm not sure I understand your point but the Oceanic computers are the only ones I have owned that do this. Both my Cressi and Petrel leave the gas setting as is until changed by the user with no reset time restriction.

I bet they'll reset if you remove the battery for long enough, and/or short a pair of magic contacts inside.

Anyway, my point is you have to pick a default and whichever one you pick is not going to please everyone. Arguably cressi and shearwater put you at risk of exceeding your ndl if you forget to set your gas and dive air while the computer is "last set" to nitrox. While oceanics put you at risk of oxtox if you dive nitrox with the computer re-set to air. Neither is a perfect default, but you have to pick one.

Personally, I'd put an O2 sensor in the transmitter and have the computer always know exactly what I'm breathing.

Back
Top Bottom