Puget sound sea lion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stphnmartin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Here's a video I put together from a dive in the Puget sound last weekend. The main character is a feisty sea lion who bit my dive buddy on the head a couple times. I used a sony cx550 in a bluefin housing. A gopro4 which is mounted on the bluefin housing for wide angle shots. Above water for in the boat I used an Osmo and Phantom 3 4k for drone footage. Enjoy!

Reactions: mdb
That looks like a pretty big animal. Not the 1st time I've read of a sea lion putting it's mouth on someone's head; I wonder what the significance of the maneuver is?

Richard.

Yeah, perhaps it's the most easily accessible part to bite since arms and legs move much more. I think it's just their normal play. But, being so large it can seem threatening. I've been told you're okay to stay in the water till they start barking in your face. That means get the hell out of my yard!

Thanks for the tip. I hope to try the Southern Channel Islands of California later this year; Lord willing & providing if that goes as I hope, maybe I'll get to see some.

I would prefer they didn't bite my head, though.

Richard.

Sea Lions are lots of fun to dive with because they obviously have so much fun in the water. When they get playful, they behave like puppies — really big, fast puppies who don't know their own strength. It can make for some nervousness at times, but I have yet to experience really aggressive behavior.

Back
Top Bottom