Agency Retailer Membership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ufbenson

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey folks,
I'm working on a research paper for my Masters program, and need some advise on where I can find some solid numbers about retailer membership fees for 5 competing certification agencies: NAUI, SSI, UTD, PADI and PSAI. I've spent hours looking for some solid numbers, but it's obviously not something they want to blast out to the world.

Also, how much do the agencies make off the instructors? Example, someone dose a PADI open water course for $350, how much do the instructors take home, and how much is sent to the agency?

What is the overall revenue source of these agencies? Is it simply based off membership fees of divemasters and instructors?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If the course cost the student $350 and the instructor is an independent he/she takes home $350 after expenses. Expenses of pool rental, gear depreciation or rental, insurance, stc.
Work for a LDS it can be anything from nothing to a per hour rate to per student rate. All depends on agreement with facility.
Training agency gets to sell training learning materials, certification cards, membership fees.

If the course cost the student $350 and the instructor is an independent he/she takes home $350 after expenses. Expenses of pool rental, gear depreciation or rental, insurance, etc.

I'm assuming you meant BEFORE expenses.

Yeah, after whatever the expenses are paid what he/ she is is left with is considered take home..gotta start to proof read myself

Reactions: RJP
Typically an Instructor pays a fee to belong to a certifying agency, my NAUI dues this past year was $175. The dues for my store were $200 for the base, then since I am a Course Director I qualify for platinum level which was another $200. I get a significant discount off of member pricing, free shipping on qualifying orders and other stuff.

As far as books and registration, we buy at one price and resell for another. No part of the course fee is required to be sent to the certifying agency.

I pay a yearly fee to be an instructor.
I pay a yearly fee to be insured as an instructor.
I pay for student materials.
I pay for student cards.

I pass this cost on to the student and try to build in some profit as well as bill for my time. This gives rise to the joke about the biggest difference between a large pizza and a Scuba instructor?

The pizza can feed a family of four!

I pay for student cards.

I pass this cost on to the student and try to build in some profit as well as bill for my time. This gives rise to the joke about the biggest difference between a large pizza and a Scuba instructor?

I pay for student cards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom