Must a wide angle wet lens be removed to take close up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_moron

Contributor
Reaction score
Pardon this dumb question. Do I need to remove a wide angle wet lens to take a close up, say a Christmas tree worm? Thinking about buying a wide angle lens but don't want the hassle of taking it on and off from wide to close up.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

you should not have to. the WA lens usually allows you to focus the subject right to the front of the lens, but with the demagnification effect of the lens, if the subject hasn't gone into hiding, it might still not be large enough. You can try zooming the lens in, some camera's lens might optically perform better than others when you zoom in extensively, all depending on how far the nodal point is away from the rear of the wet lens.

I have a sealife 1200 with the wider wideangle.

You can shoot pretty close but you can get a little closer if you take the lens off. For normal shooting I have it on since I like the depth of field and one less thing to adjust but if I have a still target, like a nudi, and not much current, I will take it off. Think I get a better picture. Target fills more of view and also maybe a tiny bit sharper.

If you are zooming make sure it is a real zoom and not a digital zoom.

Pardon this dumb question. Do I need to remove a wide angle wet lens to take a close up, say a Christmas tree worm? Thinking about buying a wide angle lens but don't want the hassle of taking it on and off from wide to close up.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.
Technically no, realistically, YES. CFWA != macro. Different types of shots. Different lens.

CFWA shots depend upon being able to focus on object very close to the lens
Close Focus Wide Angle (CFWA)

BUT: a solitary Christmas Tree Worm is not a suitable CFWA subject. It is a macro subject where wide angle lens is not your friend.

Back
Top Bottom