Mako K-14-85 vs Ingersoll Rand 223

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

monkfe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I've been running my Ingersoll Rand for the last 15yrs for my own fills. I have a three cylinder cascade system for it as well. It has a newer 5hp motor (1725 rpm) with an ~8in pulley. I've had no problems with it. I recently acquired a Mako K-14-8 from a VFD.It appears to have the stock motor on it. It has sat for approx 12 yrs in a shed. It was new in 1970 as per the original manual it came with. Oil was very clean when I changed it. After a little clean up I think I like this unit better. It has stamped on it 8cfm and 3300 psi. It also has an oil pump which I though would be even better...cooler heads etc...both compressors have manual drains which I want to make auto (suggestions?). So which one should I keep, or sell them both and get a different one?.. I now have 7 storage cylinders (3600psi) to use along with a booster pump. Thanks for your time... Paul

So I've been running my Ingersoll Rand for the last 15yrs for my own fills. I have a three cylinder cascade system for it as well. It has a newer 5hp motor (1725 rpm) with an ~8in pulley. I've had no problems with it. I recently acquired a Mako K-14-8 from a VFD.It appears to have the stock motor on it. It has sat for approx 12 yrs in a shed. It was new in 1970 as per the original manual it came with. Oil was very clean when I changed it. After a little clean up I think I like this unit better. It has stamped on it 8cfm and 3300 psi. It also has an oil pump which I though would be even better...cooler heads etc...both compressors have manual drains which I want to make auto (suggestions?). So which one should I keep, or sell them both and get a different one?.. I now have 7 storage cylinders (3600psi) to use along with a booster pump. Thanks for your time... Paul
I continuous blend nitrox through an old 85 and it is a flawless machine for it. Low operating speed keeps everything cool and worry free. I have factory auto drains, so I don't have much insight for you there, mine makes a true eight cfm and always has. You won't be disappointed with it,

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

the K-14 is dangerous, you should send it to me for proper disposal. just kidding.. but you can send it to me anyway :) The K-14 is a good unit, depending on the modification some parts may be harder to source if needed. Being a unit from a FD they might have had good maintenance and records. Maybe very few hours on the unit. Auto drain add on can be done with many aftermarket systems from those designed for breathing compressors to industrial units designed for the working pressures of your unit. Having sat the valves might need cleaned up, run it and check interstage pressures or at least head temps. That will tell you if each stage is doing it's job or if there is an issue to look into. plenty of info on the web on the k-14 compressors.

Thank you for your input. I've since placed the K-14 into service and did a considerable amount of maintenance on various parts of the system. I was able to run it up to pressure yesterday and fill one of my storage bottles and all seems fine. I'll test out my nitrox stick hopefully this coming week.

Back
Top Bottom