Warmest wetsuits or semi-dry suits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soriold

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

My wife finally wants to join me for dives in Southern California but the challenge is that she feels the cold (meaning anything below 80 degrees :)) like nobody else. I dive in an Aqualung SolAFX which I like but I know she would feel too restricted with an integrated hood. I would appreciate your help and recommendations to find a warm and comfortable wet/semi-dry suit. Here is some additional information

• Drysuit is not an option
  • The wetsuit should have no integrated hood
  • Zippers at arms and legs could be an advantage to make getting in and out easier
  • I was looking at something like the Waterproof W2 but have never used one before
  • Her measurements are 125lbs, 5' 5", chest: 32", waist 28"
I look forward to hearing from some of you and thank you in advance for your time.

You might consider a women's, Yamamoto, 2 piece suit in 7 mm. We offer a VERY WARM suit that is flexible and warm.

This type of suit is typically used by freedivers because they must wear the least amount of buoyant neoprene - since they do not have BC's to compensate for suit compression.

These suits eliminate all the common water leakage areas.. No zippers, smooth seal to keep water out and of course the attached hood. The inside of the suit is smooth rubber which is very soft, comfortable and makes the suit VERY easy to slide into - however the diver needs to use a suit lubricant.

I know you said she does not want an integrated hood, if desired, she can cut the hood off at the neck and then use a separate hood - however this will affect the warmth. We use the best quality neoprene available - Yamamoto Rubber. so the hood should be very comfortable..

I sell all my gear DIRECT. There are no retail stores, no retail overhead...These suits are made exclusively for MAKO and I sell DIRECT to the consumer. Don't be surprised by the cost of this suit compared to others on the market.

Womens Reef Camo Wetsuit 2-Piece Open Cell | MAKO Spearguns

M2YRCW-2T.jpg

womens-yamamoto-reef-camo-2-piece-wetsuit-side-panels.jpg

Have a look at the Pinnacle Merino lined wetsuits. I have one and find it quite warm.

Check out thermalution heated vests...i have same problem and have been considering them for my warm water wife.

I like the O'neil J-Tye, it has an integrated 5 mm internal bib which makes it extremely warm. It comes with an integrated hood, but it is only attached at the front and there is a velcro patch to attach it to the back. You could also just cut it off and still have the really warm suit.

For cold water diving I use a Seasoft custom 5mm semi-dry and layer it with a Waterproof hooded vest and a Thermolution heated vest. I'm not too sensitive to the cold, and I find this setup more than enough down to single digits Centigrade [about 50F]. I went with the custom suit because I'm hard to fit with standard sizes, and I find the hooded vest is not at all restrictive.

Why are you ruling out a dry suit as an option? It would seem to be the most reasonable choice.

You're on the right track with the waterproof brand. I dive with the 5 mil and a skin (with booties and gloves, both by waterproof). The wetsuit is incredibly warm and comfortable. My sister wears the same as I already described, she's 5'6" probably 115, and gets cold when you mention cold water. She can do hour long dives here in New England with no problem.

The long zippers on the arms and legs make it a breeze to get gloves and booties on and off. Can only say good things about that suit.

fourth element proteus or scubapro nova scotia or i hear good things about the probe idry suits

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom