WHITE FINS - Visible & Discoloration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfrymus

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought a set of the white Cressi Frog Plus fins. They are currently being shipped.
2ajuro7.jpg

Bought them because I assumed they would be the easiest to see underwater compared to blue, red, and even yellow. Im not a fan of yellow. Everyone has yellow. I want to stand out, I want people to know who I am by not having the same kind of fins as everyone, but still standing out.

First, IS white as visible or more visible underwater compared to the other colours? Are my assumptions correct?
Secondly, what about discoloration? Will these turn color over use? How do I prevent this if I can?

Last edited:
I have seen white fins in use and they were very noticeable. They also had the ability of being used to white balance her camera.

I have Heard that a magic eraser type sponge will help you remove any discoloration of the fins.

white is the most obvious underwater, however if you need to be ID'd by your fins then there is something wrong with your team management in the water. They will discolor over time, it is white plastic, magic erasers do help with that

My RDB and I use white fins and we are very happy with them. Yes, they will discolor, but I don't find that a big deal.

My wife has white (and black) TUSA Zoom fins; they have not discolored, and they are very easy to see. The only thing really better is something with a fluorescent pigment in yellow, lime green, bright pink, etc. My old yellow Dive Rite fins are now kind of pale yellow; not cool.

Cool. Glad I chose the best ones for visibility. :)
Thanks guys.

But the discoloration I feared, is true. And didn't think about it when I bought them.
What makes it discolor? Just sun exposure?
If kept in the shade all the time, will it still happen? How long on could it take until I see discoloration if I properly take care of them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom