Last Minute Trip to the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoinDivin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Greetings from Indonesia,

I am looking for a holiday in the Philippines, sometime between 27Feb-17Mar. Over the years guests have told me so many lovely things about diving in the Philippines I'm eager to go, but confused.

A couple of things about me:
-I am a female diver traveling alone this trip. I don't need night life per se, but would like to be able to get out after a couple days.
-Because I work in the industry (in Indonesia), I'm o.k. w/2 dives a day, but will do more.
-I'd like to see the different areas, I was looking at a liveaboard, but didn't want to pay for 4 dives a day.
Is there a resort that has more than 1 location that has boat transfers in between? I don't want to waste dive time transferring if at all possible (will take a look at Atlantis' two resorts).
-I am not a photographer, but am a great spotter and love looking at photos.
-I love everything, however, I'm not really a wreck or cave diver, I cannot/will not penetrate, but know fish usually hang out around them and they usually have a lot of growth so that part would get me in the water to see one.
-Did I mention I work in the dive industry? Lol, I do it for love of the game - not the money, so I'm looking for a reliable dive center w/clean accommodations, good food and cold drinks. I don't need luxury, but I don't want to use local transport with my dive gear.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I have been to the Philippines with my husband and a few times by myself. Females solo.divers are common and I'm.sure you will have a wonderful time. My very favourite resort is Liquid Dumaguete , which is in a wonderful macro location , but with access to beautiful reefs in Apo and Siquijor. Have a look at their review on trip advisor.

Another option would be Sea Explorers who have wonderful resorts on several islands , with transfers, including dive crossing trips available. We loved Malapascua for the thresher sharks and the wonderful macro. They are not cheap , but are excellent.

In March the water should be getting warmer and the weather should be really nice.

Have a wonderful trip.

Thanks Tippytoes12, Sea Explorers seems to be in line with what I'm looking for. Hopefully, I can get on with a small group to help cover the expenses, since I'm totally flexible.

Greetings from Indonesia,

I am looking for a holiday in the Philippines, sometime between 27Feb-17Mar. Over the years guests have told me so many lovely things about diving in the Philippines I'm eager to go, but confused.

A couple of things about me:
-I am a female diver traveling alone this trip. I don't need night life per se, but would like to be able to get out after a couple days.
-Because I work in the industry (in Indonesia), I'm o.k. w/2 dives a day, but will do more.
-I'd like to see the different areas, I was looking at a liveaboard, but didn't want to pay for 4 dives a day.
Is there a resort that has more than 1 location that has boat transfers in between? I don't want to waste dive time transferring if at all possible (will take a look at Atlantis' two resorts).
-I am not a photographer, but am a great spotter and love looking at photos.
-I love everything, however, I'm not really a wreck or cave diver, I cannot/will not penetrate, but know fish usually hang out around them and they usually have a lot of growth so that part would get me in the water to see one.
-Did I mention I work in the dive industry? Lol, I do it for love of the game - not the money, so I'm looking for a reliable dive center w/clean accommodations, good food and cold drinks. I don't need luxury, but I don't want to use local transport with my dive gear.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Full disclosure, I mostly dive and work in Indonesia. After only a few recreational dive trips to the Philippines, including a LOB at Tubahata, there is much more pristine coral, healthy fish populations, and less people in Indonesia. Unless you really want to travel, Indoneisa offers a better experience.

My favorite spots in the Philippines Top down are Anilao, Puerto Galera, Dauin, Sipalay.
I've not done Tubbahtaha but heard good things.
I'm an avid Indonesia fan and do agree that overall you'll find better diving in Indo. Have you covered most of Indo in your travels?

You have 3 wks to spend so Visayas should suit you best.

Malapascua is pretty isolated and the thresher shark is its main attraction. I also like Southern Leyte(Sogod Bay) but getting there could be your main concern. Same apply to Sipalay.
I never have any issue by using public transport with my dive gear in this country. Private transfer is on the expensive side.

Full disclosure, I mostly dive and work in Indonesia. After only a few recreational dive trips to the Philippines, including a LOB at Tubahata, there is much more pristine coral, healthy fish populations, and less people in Indonesia. Unless you really want to travel, Indoneisa offers a better experience.

I'm an avid Indonesia fan and do agree that overall you'll find better diving in Indo. Have you covered most of Indo in your travels?

Lol, I have always known Indonesia had some of the best diving in the world and I'm glad to hear you agree (I thought I was just biased). I've been very lucky to have been able to dive most of Indonesia.

I have to leave the country on a visa run and have vacation time anyway, so I thought the Philippines would be the closest, cheapest and easiest. I've heard many good things about the area, but just don't know the highlights and the best way to see them on a budget.

Dirtfarmer, do you have recommendations for accommodations on your lists? To give you an idea, I'm looking for accommodations in PH along the lines of Murex Bangka or Two Fish Lembeh, with good solid dive operators and good locations to sites.

Cheers.

Dirtfarmer, do you have recommendations for accommodations on your lists? To give you an idea, I'm looking for accommodations in PH along the lines of Murex Bangka or Two Fish Lembeh, with good solid dive operators and good locations to sites.

Oh yes visa run.
In Anilao I used Buceo Anilao. Anilao has a strange and sometimes confusing dive price structure where you pay for your guide, the boat and the shop separately, which can be expensive if there are not other divers to share the expense, except for Buceo. They have all inclusive dive pricing, there are cheaper options in Anilao but they looked to be a bit rundown in my research, and I was with my non-diving wife on that trip so needed something a bit nicer. When I was there there was a woman who was staying at a cheaper resort Eagle Point I think, just down the way and diving with Buceo. In Dauin I used El Dorado, that was more than 5 years ago, good shop well run, and the resort has affordable options for rooms. Sipalay is off the beaten track on Negros, a good 6 hrs from Dauin by bus. I stay with Takatuka, the resort is simply to say out of this world, look at pictures on the web and you'll find out why. The shop is run well, the resort is affordable and they have the best food I've had in the Philippines. Sipalay is not a very popular spot but the reefs are in some of the best condition that I've seen in the PI where dynamite fishing is or was common.
The Visaya's are a good place to go with other options to dive I just named my top picks.Once your there it's easy to island hop via the ferry system. But Anilao/Puerto Galera top the list for many divers, so I would recommend not missing Anilao/PG.

I don't need luxury, but I don't want to use local transport with my dive gear.
Just to give couple of examples on the cost of one way transportation(private or public):
Anilao(>US$100.00 or US$10.00).
Puerto Galera(~US$130.00 or US$35.00). You can easily find places offering 3 dives for around US$100.00 there!

Sipalay is indeed very good but getting there is (half the fun especially by public bus).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom