Ambon vs Lembeh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

btonthemove

Registered
Reaction score
Debating Lembeh versus Ambon for 7-9 night trip. I've dive Lembeh 6 times (obviously I love it there), but never dived Ambon. Is it worth a visit this trip to Indonesia? Does it have mandarin fish? I'm a keen amateur photographer, love muck. If there is anyone out there who has dived both, which destination would you choose and any recommendations on where to stay late March? I'll be diving Komodo prior to this trip. Looking for an extension.

I think they are both worthy of a visit but you need to understand Ambon is much dirtier than lembeh. Not sure I would want to dive there for more than 4-5 days. The critters are great. I have been there twice both as an extension of a live aboard That picked us up in Ambon. Ambon does have mandarin fish. I've stayed at Maluku both times and had a great time.

If you are looking for an extension to Komodo, have you considered Tulumben, Bali. I could spend more then a week there easy. It has fantastic muck diving. Most of the same critters but way more nudis. Great for any photographer. For Komodo you fly out of Bali so you wouldn't have to do any other domestic flights.

I'm recently back from my 4th trip to Lembeh, ( I Love me some Lembeh) but I've only done about 7 dives in Ambon in a small area. Ambon has great muck, from my limited exposure it did have great frogfish action, and other good critters too. I did see other divers photos of the critters found in the area and I would say it does have excellent diversity of critters. Ambon does present limited options of resorts/shops so your choice is limited to either high end or very budget as opposed to Lembeh. From my experience I might have a hard time choosing the Ambon budget operators for a 7-9 day trip. ( This last trip in Lembeh I dove for 11 days there)
As Calidivergirl mentions Tulamben can be a great choice. It also has great Muck and would be much more convenient when doing Komodo.
You will probably get lots more responses over in the Indonesia forum.

Back
Top Bottom