Great Wall Dive - Beijing PRC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SinoScuba is thrilled to announce our Underwater Great Wall trip schedule for 2016:

Saturday-Sunday, June 18-19

Saturday-Sunday, August 20-21

Saturday-Sunday, August 27-28

Saturday-Sunday, September 3-4

Saturday-Sunday, September 24-25

You can’t dive the Pyramids, but you can dive the Great Wall. This is not Huanghuacheng, the so-called Water Great Wall or Shanhaiguan, the Great Wall’s eastern sea terminus. The Underwater Great Wall is 300 to 400 meters worth of Wall that disappeared under the Panjiakou Reservoir in Hebei province, after a dam was constructed in 1977 to provide for the newly rebuilt city of Tangshan nearby.

Diving the Great Wall is eerie and intimate. It’s a giant, sleeping dragon on the bottom that requires the diver to swim up close for a good look. The view reveals craftsmanship and aquatic life, including tiny fish and shrimp. Water depth and temperature vary by season, but divers with even an Open Water Diver certification will be able to see parts of the Wall.

All trips leave from Beijing's Central Business District at 6 am on departure day, and return there at 6 pm the following day. Pricing includes tanks and weights; four air fills per diver; shared transportation (an additional transportation fee may apply if sufficient shared transportation is not available); basic, double accommodation (shared bathroom, squat toilet); and four meals (lunch, dinner, breakfast, and lunch). Proof of PADI Open Water Diver or other qualifying certification is required for participation. Price is RMB 1,988 per diver, inquire for non-diver bookings. Trips require a minimum of four divers and a maximum of six. A deposit of RMB 1,000 or USD equivalent is required at time of booking. For bookings, questions, and more information, please contact steven@sinoscuba.com.

SinoScuba is thrilled to announce our Underwater Great Wall trip schedule for 2016:

Saturday-Sunday, June 18-19

Saturday-Sunday, August 20-21

Saturday-Sunday, August 27-28

Saturday-Sunday, September 3-4

Saturday-Sunday, September 24-25

You can’t dive the Pyramids, but you can dive the Great Wall. This is not Huanghuacheng, the so-called Water Great Wall or Shanhaiguan, the Great Wall’s eastern sea terminus. The Underwater Great Wall is 300 to 400 meters worth of Wall that disappeared under the Panjiakou Reservoir in Hebei province, after a dam was constructed in 1977 to provide for the newly rebuilt city of Tangshan nearby.

Diving the Great Wall is eerie and intimate. It’s a giant, sleeping dragon on the bottom that requires the diver to swim up close for a good look. The view reveals craftsmanship and aquatic life, including tiny fish and shrimp. Water depth and temperature vary by season, but divers with even an Open Water Diver certification will be able to see parts of the Wall.

All trips leave from Beijing's Central Business District at 6 am on departure day, and return there at 6 pm the following day. Pricing includes tanks and weights; four air fills per diver; shared transportation (an additional transportation fee may apply if sufficient shared transportation is not available); basic, double accommodation (shared bathroom, squat toilet); and four meals (lunch, dinner, breakfast, and lunch). Proof of PADI Open Water Diver or other qualifying certification is required for participation. Price is RMB 1,988 per diver, inquire for non-diver bookings. Trips require a minimum of four divers and a maximum of six. A deposit of RMB 1,000 or USD equivalent is required at time of booking. For bookings, questions, and more information, please contact steven@sinoscuba.com.

Let me know when you schedule it on a Friday/Saturday over a small holiday (like Dragon Boat in June, why can't you have the dive over Thur/Fri/Sat so people can fly in Wed night and return home on Sunday after THREE days diving?)

How many people would I need to find to schedule that trip?

Well, that sounds interesting.

I have a few questions though:

1/ How difficult/easy is this dive? I am a quite new OWD and have currently only dived in almost perfect tropical conditions. I am of course ready to try new things, but I'd like to know what I get into.

2/ How cold will it be? The few accounts in can read on the web mention pretty low temperatures, and I know I tend to always be too cold when I am diving.

3/ How early in advance should I book the trip? I have quite some trouble knowing my schedule that early in advance.

Let me know when you schedule it on a Friday/Saturday over a small holiday (like Dragon Boat in June, why can't you have the dive over Thur/Fri/Sat so people can fly in Wed night and return home on Sunday after THREE days diving?)

How many people would I need to find to schedule that trip?
Phat, you'll need four people for that departure. Contact me via private message or my contact information in the post above to select dates and book.

Well, that sounds interesting.

I have a few questions though:

1/ How difficult/easy is this dive? I am a quite new OWD and have currently only dived in almost perfect tropical conditions. I am of course ready to try new things, but I'd like to know what I get into.

2/ How cold will it be? The few accounts in can read on the web mention pretty low temperatures, and I know I tend to always be too cold when I am diving.

3/ How early in advance should I book the trip? I have quite some trouble knowing my schedule that early in advance.

Thank you for your interest and questions.

The dive is not difficult, but divers must be aware that visibility is between five and 10 meters.

Water temperature varies between the low 20s in June to high 20s towards the end of the season. The big factor is the water depth. If the water is deeper later in the season, there can be a thermocline, and that makes it fairly chilly. We offer a limited number of 5 mm suits and hoods for rental.

For booking, the earlier the better. These are small group trips and therefore will fill fairly quickly. Deposits are fully refundable up until 30 days before departure.

Sad to post this. The search was called off after four days.

Two scuba divers have gone missing while exploring a little-known, underwater section of the Great Wall in Hebei province.

Two Divers Missing at Underwater Section of the Great Wall

Calling off the search is NOT the truth.
TODAY there is a public notice released by Laurel Technologies (in Chinese), they are mapping the underwater area thoroughly with newly arrived advanced sonar system, and other helps are on the way.

SinoScuba is very pleased to announce initial dates for our 2018 Underwater Great Wall season:

Sept 1-2
Sept 8-9
Sept 15-16

You can’t dive the Pyramids, but you can dive the Great Wall. The Underwater Great Wall is 300 to 400 meters of Wall that disappeared under the Panjiakou Reservoir in Hebei province after a dam was constructed in 1977 to provide water for the nearby city of Tangshan when it was rebuilt following a devastating 1976 earthquake.

SinoScuba operates weekend dive trips to the Underwater Great Wall. This unique diving opportunity on one of the world's wonders is available only to certified divers. Participants, both divers and non-divers, will be asked to sign relevant waivers and liability releases.

Our trips depart at 6 am on scheduled Saturdays, and return to Beijing around 6 pm the following day. Our trips include shared transportation from and to central Beijing, four meals (lunch, dinner, breakfast, and lunch), basic accommodation (double occupancy), tanks and weights, and three or four dives. Rental equipment and underwater torches/flashlights are extra. The cost per person for these trips is RMB 1,999 (US$315). A maximum of six divers will be accepted for any departure.

A 50 percent deposit is required to guarantee your spot on any of the above dates. Lock in the best weather, visibility, and water temperature of the year now! Contact us today for more information and booking.

Might check this dive out someday I'm about to have inlaws in Hebei province and been told I will need to visit occasionally.

sorry for I just can login in Scubaboard, please check here some of our recent dive photos in the Under Water Great Wall Dive.

冬日水长城潜水记录

if you interested, please contact us vvdiving@qq.com, we running dive center here, providing full gears rental, including dry suit.

welcome!

Yong

Back
Top Bottom