Researching First (jacket) Bc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you fly to where you dive and want a lightweight bcd that will fit your requirements, look at the Scubapro GO. My wife has used both, and was very happy with them.

Had two dive buddys buy SP GO's and they love them. If I were in the market for a new BC I'd seriously consider that one.

Thanks for all the replies! I found a dive shop about 50 minutes away that carries Cressi, Oceanic, Aqualung, Sherwood, and Mares, so I'm trying to contact them about trying on the various options.

The dive shop I originally went to said that the Aqua Lung Pro HD is probably too big for me, and their customers didn't like many of the features on the Pearl so they stopped carrying it. She recommended the Soul i3 over the Oceanic Hera if I wanted a hybrid, but that is way out of budget. She still thinks the Sherwood Luna is the best for me. Having not found great reviews online for it, I'm a bit hesitant to just go that route.

The ScubaPro Go seems a bit too minimalist, but I've had several recommendations for the Bella. That is a bit of a stretch, but there are a couple of shops that carry ScubaPro so I may try it as well.

Thanks again!

You have made two statements, in your posts, that raise my curiosity.
elora_C:
I've only ever dived with a jacket, and I like the enclosed feeling, so I'm not ready to switch to a back inflate.
The ScubaPro Go seems a bit too minimalist.
What is it about the GO that seems 'minimalist' to you? I am not disagreeing with your assessment - it is yours, after all. But, I would like to better understand what you mean by that comment, as an indicator of what you want, or feel you need, in a BCD.

Does the jacket style somehow give you a sense of security, that you won't 'fall out' of it, while on the surface? That is not intended in any way as a criticism, only a question to help me better understand what might work for you. I ask in part because if the 'feeling' of security of the unit is a concern, you may want to broaden your horizons and look at a BCD with a crotch strap.

You have stated that the choice is not an economic decision. But, you have also indicated that you have a preferred price range. Frankly, for almost any of the units you have referenced in your two posts, if you pay anything near the MSRP, you will be overpaying for what you will get, even if it is within you preferred range. It is your money, so whether you 'overpay' is a comment based on my values, not yours, and doesn't really affect me. But, I am always a bit disappointed to see people put A LOT of money, based on limited experience, into gear that they subsequently come to regret buying. And, in your case, you have already indicated that you have exposure to only one kind of BCD, so how can you know what 'feeling' or 'security' another style might provide?

Just curious.

Sorry, I just meant that I don't dive enough for it to make economic sense to purchase instead of just rent every time I dive.

As for minimalist feeling, I found it more comfortable with material in the front. It isn't a sense of security, per se. I just liked the feeling of being wrapped. I did try on the back inflate style, and it just didn't seem as comfortable. I'm going to a couple of different shops this weekend (as every shop only seems to carry one line in stock) and hopefully I can try on a variety to get a better sense of what is available and what I do and don't like.

Thanks.

As for minimalist feeling, I found it more comfortable with material in the front. It isn't a sense of security, per se. I just liked the feeling of being wrapped.

I suspect GO, once you put it on, will not feel as "minimalist" as it looks on the picture. From the description it sounds rather nice with travel-friendly weight and 2 tank straps. Except for the price tag: I'm not sure what makes is worth e.g. $100 more than Cressi Travelight.

After driving all over SE Pennsylvania, my list has changed somewhat. I didn't like the Cressi Aquaride, Aqua Lung Pro, or Aqua Lung Pearl. Surprisingly, I did like the Zeagle Zena. It was very comfortable. There were a few things I didn't like: I prefer the slide n' lock integrated weights as opposed to the dumpable pocket (which apparently needs to be serviced by shop after being dumped); and although the unit was fully adjustable, I end up with 6 dangling straps that seem like they could get in the way.

I also tried on the Soul i3 and the Lotus i3. Again, I surprised myself by liking the Lotus better. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that he quoted me the Soul instead of the Lotus. Nor did he tell me that the Lotus comes in a non-i3 version, which is quite a bit cheaper and brings it into my price range. He only had a rental version of the Bella, and it was a Small (not an XS) so it just didn't fit as nicely or look as nice.

I don't remember what the back inflate that I tried on last week was, but the ones I tried on today had a more comfortable feeling. My other hesitancy is the transition curve from jacket to back inflate. I only dive for a few days once or twice a year, so I don't want to spend my whole trip trying to figure out the new system. But the people I spoke with today gave me more confidence that switching isn't that difficult, and it is mostly a difference at the surface. So now I'm considering:

Zeagle Zuna (I'm a little bit hesitant about the brand, as well, since there aren't very many dealers who can service it)
Aqua Lung Lotus
(ScubaPro Ladyhawk, but it is out of my range)
Oceanic Hera (still haven't been able to try this one on yet)
Sherwood Luna (it's the only jacket that I've liked so far, but it is also the first one I tried on, so maybe in comparison my opinion will have changed).

Thanks again for the help.

(which apparently needs to be serviced by shop after being dumped)
That's incorrect - re-threading a Ripcord takes 2:22 or less...i do it annually to test it. One consideration with a Ripcord is if pulled, both sides get dumped at once. One plus with the system is it will take any manner of hard/soft weights provided at your destination.

So let's assume you have to drop your weights in a situation. Pull the Ripcord and your/rental weights are lost but you can rethread it and dive again the next day/dive. Unclip and drop both weight pockets on another system and you're not diving again till you can buy 2 more.It shouldn't be a factor but I'd think about it just for a second b4 dropping $100 worth of pockets/weight.

Zeagle sells/includes a set of weight bags. Since you load/unload from the top, they're handy if you plan to hand up your weights on a dive boat since they have a big 1" wide looped strap. On a conventional system the weight pockets pull out horizontally - nice to load on the boat but maybe harder to control in the water? IDK - my only experience with a similar system is my friend's Mares and she's lost two pockets - one diving and one in the surf-line.I found a pair at a moored site once also - weights still intact.

Call Scubatoys and see what they can do on the price. On some of their lines, they list the MAP but can offer a discount - or throw in something to sweeten the deal.

If you go with the Lotus, Aqualung controls the pricing so you're likely not going to find it for much below $550. Good call on not considering the I3...

Last edited:
Unclip and drop both weight pockets on another system and you're not diving again till you can buy 2 more.It shouldn't be a factor but I'd think about it just for a second b4 dropping $100 worth of pockets/weight.

Or you can dive again when you find a weight belt to borrow. Not an issue anywhere.

Personally i dislike integrated weights as they make handling the rig harder and it is more likely to fall over on a bouncy boat with weight hanging out away from the support of the cylinder.

To the op, mostly Jackets are pretty much equivalent. Find one that fits, almost nothing else matters. If it has pockets it is good if you can get into them when wearing the jacket, sometimes the entry is so high as to be practically in your armpit and so opening and closing them is hard.

Or you can dive again when you find a weight belt to borrow. Not an issue anywhere.
Let me get this straight - you buy a $600 BC that once the weight pockets are gone needs a belt to continue diving with possibly the rest of the trip? What's the point of buying weight integration?

Compared to one that can be re-used 5mins. after dumping the weight if the boat has more weight available. Many of the boats I've been on the rental weight belts - especially the buckles - are pieces of crap that have been used/abused by prior divers and have a greater risk of falling off.

Personally I like weight integration on a bouncy boat as I don't have to mess with getting into my rig and then a weight belt before rolling over the side. No issue with forgetting a belt either - which I have seen happen at least twice this past decade.

Once was pretty funny, this loud-mouthed "expert" diver was harping on his wife the whole boat ride out to get ready - he splashed before even waiting for her then when she got in the water and they floated to the end of the line after a few failed tries he had to come back so the DM could hand him his belt. :rofl3:

Last edited:
Let me get this straight - you buy a $600 BC that once the weight pockets are gone needs a belt to continue diving with possibly the rest of the trip? What's the point of buying weight integration?

That is what people generally do. Mostly they do not ditch their weights so it is not an issue how they continue to dive. The point of weight integration is that it is (maybe) easier the 99.99% of the time they are not dumped. A sensible diver would take their own weight belt as a backup. Most of the time they could use it to help strap their cylinder in place and only when they dump weights use it as a weight belt.

Back
Top Bottom