Calling All Those About To Dive The Ss Thistlegorm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stevie Ri

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi,

A call to anyone heading to the SS Thistlegorm this next few weeks, ideally this coming week.

I need a kind hearted diver or more, quite happy to share the task, less for each to do, considering dive times etc, to assist as soon as possible with some simple measurements of the Albion AM 463 refuellers down below on the SS Thistlegorm.

I have been liaising with Dr Alex Mustard and I have a set of high resolution fish eye lens (17mm) photos he has taken of these vehicles, which dont allow measurements due to distortion, he also has made various internet posts about them. He is unable to go there this year to take the measurements and photos I need. Divers love a particular reason for a dive he says, so try the forums.

I have tasked myself with the offer of CAD modelling the RAF equipment aft of the cab for free using wartime photos, a few are hi resolution, so as to recreate this extinct vehicle for the world if the owner of the worlds only surviving AM463 chassis ( he has 4) is willing to restore his final chassis to that of a refueller. He is up for the challenge.

I have a number of I hope easily obtained measurements drawn on the photos of the wrecks which I need, as the wartime shots being at oblique angles need these dimensions in order to be able to model the equipment.

I can send the images to whoever is up for the task of using a measuring device of some kind and a DSLR camera. I also need some photos of the tank underside of the one with its rear end up in the air, and a few other features giving me valuable details not available from my photos. At the very least I need 3 crucial fore/aft dimensions ... the pump compartment side, then back of this to back of cab, and width of side of cab.

Please PM me or reply here or both. It is a mission I don't want anyone risking their safety on, it must be their choice, so those that have dived this area before would be a good start. It is for free, I am not making anything from it, instead spending hundreds of hours doing it for the love of the Albion ! Lets see this tragic loss bear fruit in this way.

Stevie

Hi,
Calling all Thistlegorm divers...again
The diver I found has just returned and managed a few measurements but didnt have the task sheets at the time so I am still in need of someone who can get more measurements and maybe photos , I await his video files this next few days or so which hopefully will solve some of the objects and might be able to tick some of the tasks off as done though dimensions are important.

Is anyone going to the SS Thistlegorm ?

PM me if you can help, 5 task sheets, 14 tasks , maybe less now, mostly involving photos of ruler laid onto items.

Stevie Ri

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom