HMS Perseus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I will be going to Zakynthos at the end of August and I would like to find out if there's any chance to dive the HMS Perseus with a divecenter from that island. I have tried to search on the web and this forum but haven't really found any good information on this topic.

Thanks,
Victor

Hi Victor

HMS Perseus is located halfway between Zakynthos and Kefalonia (the island north of Zakynthos). Since most dive centers in Zakynthos are located in the southern part of the island, it is more likely that a dive to Perseus should be made from Kefalonia. Yet, once you get to Zakynthos, you should check with the local dive centers. The problem is that Perseus lays at 50+ meters, which is far beyond the usual recreational dives that I'd expect the local dive centers to carry out. Still, you need to ask around.
Anyway, the southern part of Zakynthos has excellent dive sites (especially cavern/caves), so don't miss the chance to do some diving there.

I hope you enjoy your staying
Vassilis

I have returned from Zakynthos. I have stayed there one week, so maybe I have missed something, as the island is pretty big. But my review of the island is the following:

The scuba situation there is pretty sad. I would have expected a lot of diving-related businesses and activities to be there, being an island. I have hardly found two dive centers. There was another diving sign on the road that I haven't followed. On an island the size of Zakynthos this was strange for me. I was expecting to see 2-3 dive centers in any of the harbors. I have seen no diving shop either.

From the dive centers that I have visited, St. Nicholas diving center is not worth a visit. They are more oriented now into other water sports (parasailing, banana rides, and so on). They seem to have some discover scuba activities on the beach. When I have asked about boat diving, they told me they have no customers. I left them my phone number, in case they find other customers, but they haven't ever called back.

Then, I have discovered another dive center in Keri, just in front of the harbor. The center is called Turtle Beach Diving Center. This one looked like a real divecenter. Except for a few basic stuff like snorkels, masks, boots and t-shirts, they don't have a shop, but only a diving center. The staff is mixed - british, greek and german.

The rental equipment was basic, but ok; I haven't tested it as I had my own equipment with me, but a friend used it and had no issues. Most of the equipment was Aeris or Oceanic. Maybe the only comment here would be that they provide full-foot fins, which in 22C water are not really optimal (boots and open-heel fins would have been better).

The tanks are steel 12L, and also 15L upon request. Haven't asked, but I don't think they have anything except air, as there was no oxygen tank near the compressor.

They have a wood boat with enough room on it. We were ~10-15 divers and the space was more than adequate. The diving spots are close - the trip there took about 20-30 minutes. Their way of diving involves doing a dive in the morning, returning to the harbor for 2 hours for lunch, and then leaving again for the afternoon dive. They have a nice way of fast-loading the boat, by making a human chain of all the divers and loading the tanks and equipment. This was really entertaining and efficient. Between the boat and the divecenter the equipment is carried in an old minivan manually painted with lots of scuba symbols and images :). There is no toilet on the boat - not an issue for me, but in case you need is better to be informed.

About the diving spots - they dive at the Keri caves area. I have made only two dives in a single day. The sea looked pretty dead to me - almost empty rocks, close to no corals. The sea life is reduced - some small fish, nothing bigger than 20cm. Some worms and snails, a few shy and flat crabs hiding under the rocks. The scenery itself is nice - big boulders, caves, arcs, walls. Water was cold - between 22 and 26C was too cold for my 3mm suit (I should have taken from home a 7mm or even the drysuit, as I was shivering at the end of the second dive). Great visibility (20+), blue water.

After the dives I have discussed with one of the guys. He told me that in the past he worked for St Nicholas and they made regular trips to Perseus and to the Killini ferry, but the business went down year by year and many dive centers have closed. Definitely the island doesn't look like a scuba destination.

If you want to do some dives, Turtle Beach diving center in Keri I think is now the only viable option as they still seem to have enough customers to fill the boat and get out every day. But as the island seems to be a destination only for families and also for some drunk parties in Laganas, I'm not sure how much it will stay like this.

Hi Vixtor

Thanks for your post! I have also been trying to look for information on outfits that might offer trips to the Persues and also have come up with next to nothing. I might try looking into staying on Kefalonia instead and email some dive centres ahead of time. But to be honest, it's not looking terribly hopeful and I might just have to go there and look instead.

Diving HMS Perseus in Kefalonia is now easier than ever as there is a new dive centre, Bluemanta Diving & Aquanautic Club in Skala, just 2-3 miles from the dive site. You can check details at their website: HMS Perseus | bluemantadiving

Actually the sub is among their main attractions, and not only they dive it regularly but also accommodate divers from other dive centres of Kefalonia that are far more distant to the site. The submarine is far from been halfway between Zante and Kefalonia; actually is roughly 1,5 mile offshore Katelios village in Kefalonia. And an amazing dive indeed!

For divers that spend their holidays in Zante, perhaps a ferry trip from Ag.Nikolaos Zante to Pesada Kefalonia might be an option, and I am sure the dive centre might provide assistance about arranging transfer from Pesada to Skala as well as overnight accommodation in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom