Best And Worst Bc For Women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first started diving I bought an AquaLung Seaquest Diva jacket in Small. I really loved that BCD for about 13 years. As I got more diving experience, I started feeling like the BC didn't fit properly any longer. It felt too big and I had to put an extra strap on the front to keep the shoulders of the BC from sliding from side to side. I don't think BC's stretch and I'm pretty sure I didn't shrink:). I also started not liking the feeling of the inflation of the BC on the front of the jacket. So I started reading about back inflate BC's and decided to buy the Zeagle Zena in Extra Small. Although I didn't dive in a BPW and harness set up, I tried one on and didn't like the feeling of no coverage on the front of me. The Zena has panels on the front of the BC which zip together and has straps on the sides of the BC to adjust the snugness. I guess I just really like to feel "contained" in my BC. I love the back inflate feature and don't feel like it puts me face-forward on the surface. I just pull my knees up and lean back a little....feel like I'm in my easy chair.

A couple of issues with the Zena: If you don't adjust the side straps prior to descending, the BC will move around with the weight of the tank. On the boat I adjust the straps just a little and then jump in the water and snug up the side straps before descending. Another issue is the "ripcord" to release the pocket weights. My BC had a piece of Velcro over the red pull knob when I bought the it. After a bunch of dives the Velcro came off and I accidentally released my weights when I reached down to adjust my straps. Lesson learned....check to make sure the Velcro is still over the red pull knob!

All in all, I really like the Zena because I can tailor it to my body. I'm 5' 1/2" so many of the other BCDs just didn't fit a short person.

As far as being fearful on the surface, I can understand it. It's not my favorite place to be either, especially if the sea is rough. I want to be back on the boat. However, I make sure to come up with plenty of air so I can inflate my BC on the surface (I inflate it a lot!), kick back and relax and look to see the boat. Or, if there's something to gaze at underwater, I'll look down and see what I can find. I keep my reg in my mouth until I'm back to on the boat with no chance of falling back in the water. Yes, I've gotten partially up the ladder and fallen off....so glad to have that reg where it's suppose to be!

I've found that continuous diving has helped me face my fears and conquer many of them. It's hard to get lots of diving in when you don't live where you can dive most of the year. Prior to moving to Florida, we were vacation divers....maybe 2-3 trips a year. It's so much nicer to be able to get up in the morning and say to hubby "let's go diving!"

Keep diving and enjoying the underwater world!

Then for me that settles it. You need to buy a jacket bc if you are going to buy your own gear. There is no doubt that you are going to feel more stable at the surface with a jacket bc and there are thousands upon thousands of divers who dive nothing but jacket bc's and are exceptional divers. As a matter of fact, the three best divers I have even been in the water with all had ratty torn looking jacket bc's.The only reason I switched from a jacket bc to a back inflate was because I have some issues with my right shoulder from time to time. In a jacket bc I was having to reach back a little to put it on and my BI has shoulder clips. So I no longer have to reach in a backwards motion to put it on.

Just try on as many as you can and find the one that fits you best.
100% agreed! I myself dive a DSS BP/W and absolutely love it, but jacket BCs are really the only style where effort to obtain stability on the surface is nonexistent. Every BC style is stable, but BP/Ws and back-inflation BCs require a little bit of effort to achieve stability, something you want to avoid if you have any sort of surface apprehension. There are many styles and many brands, so you have endless options! Take you time, get lots of opinions (which you're already doing :)), do your research, and make the best possible decision. Good luck and congrats on your certification!

I'm another Zeagle Zena gal! I've had mine for over a year and it's still one of the most comfortable BC's I've ever had on. I can tighten it as much as I like and there are plenty of pockets (something a sized small Mares doesn't have!).

Depending on your body size, it may be a good choice as they actually have XS sizes and are specifically tailored to the female body (ie. CURVES!)

And the zipper in the front, as opposed to the cummerbund, feels more secure and comfortable too.

Katie,

I'm about your size, and I love the aqualung zuma. I cannot stand the jackets, and love that this is small and not bulky and fits me plus it travels easily. I dont feel at all unstable, in fact, I feel much more comfortable than I ever did in any rental bc as I never really had one that fit. All were highly uncomfortable and generally far too bulky.

I've had this one now on about 80 or so dives and I would not trade it. I always dive in warm water, generally off a small boat or zodiac and so the tank goes on while on the boat just before I back roll in so I've not had to walk into the water and spend little if any time on the surface. I am, however, a nervous diver until I'm under the water and this was worse when I was just getting started. It's much better now.

I am another zena gal. I rented one and instantly fell in love. Now I am looking to purchase my own. I like that it so easy to put on. One zip and your in. It also has interchangeable panels in case something happens you can purchase new ones. While it does have integrated weights. the pull is only on one side. So in case of emergency, all you have to fiddle with is just one pull and it releases all the weights.

I see here through out this thread that many of you really like your zena. BUT there are many other good ones out there too. but sometime the fit not matter what the size, just feel too big and bulky.

Back
Top Bottom