Snorkeling Mask Squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captnpat

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hoping to get some assistance before my IDC...

I've been practicing my 800m snorkel swim in the pool. I'm using my normal mask and snorkel.

I've noticed that 400-500m into the event, I'm getting a serious mask squeeze, like I'm trying to inhale through my nose. I'm not, I even exhale a little through my nose to alleviate the squeeze, but on my next inhale, I'm feeling the mask squeeze again. I even "snort" a little on occasion....

Anyone have any tricks or solutions?

I'm able to finish the event, but I have to concentrate more on the mask than on doing the event.

Unless you are snorkeling at a depth of several atmospheres, you shouldn't be getting a mask squeeze. My thought is that your body is involuntarily attempting to breathe through your nose, and that your lungs are actually taking the air from your mask. Training and practice will end this problem.

You might try using a nose clip, like swimmers use for preventing water from entering the nose during competitive swimming/diving events. I've used one in my freediving in the pool (which is a competitive diving pool that is 18 feet deep), and it allows me to clear my ears without using my hands to block my nose. I don't use it tight enough to preclude exhaling into the mask, but it takes more effort and does help clear my ears. It should also help with your situation of inhaling hard through your nose on a swim.

By the way, this is a very old technique for clearing one's ears, which is shown in Dr. Hans Hass' book, We Come From The Sea, Doubleday & Company, Inc., 1958, on photo of his wife, Lotte, plate between page 96 and 97.

SeaRat

John, All... thanks for the tips....

I'm going to try the nose clip to see how it goes....

I don't mind being the oldest guy in the IDC class, I just don't want to be the slowest!

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom