Mask Design Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Every since my certification I've been using a ScubaPro Ventana mask which is now about 10 years old. On my last couple of dive trips I've noticed the masking pushing up on the bottom of my nose, which is both painful and annoying. I spent most of my last couple of dives just trying to keep my mask in a comfortable spot. I tried moving the strap around on my head (high, low, middle), and tightening or keeping the strap loose, but nothing really seemed to work.

So, I'm in the market for a new mask since it appears my face has changed since getting my ScubaPro. Now I know "FIT FIT FIT" is what everyone will say is most important, so you DON'T need to remind me. However, when I go into the shops to try on masks about 90% of them will stay stuck on my face when I breathe in through my nose. The only major difference so far is where my nose is in the mask, some my nose is right at the bottom of the nose pocket, and and other it's near the top. I have yet to find a mask that puts my nose in the center of the nose pocket. I'll be shopping again this weekend, and hopefully can find something that works in that department. Other than nose placement and staying stuck on my face, what other "fitment" issues should I be on the look out for?

The only other mask design feature I've run across that I'm not so sure about is attachment points for the straps. I've noticed some masks have the attachment straight onto the skirt, and others onto the frame. I can see how a skirt attachment would be more flexible, but they seem really flimsy to me compared to the frame attachment ones. Is this the case? Are skirt attachment straps better in some other way? Are they really not as strong as mask attachment points?

My current mask is a 3 window and I'm looking into going to a 1 window design, so any suggestions for a moderately priced mask (that of course fits well) with 1 window would be appreciated. I know the 2 window masks seem more popular, but I like the unobstructed view of the 1 windows. I'll also be switching from clear skirt to black if I can find a great fit with the black skirt.

Thanks!

Quick Edit: I have noticed that the ScubaPro masks seem on the small side for me, especially with the nose fit. The Atomics seem to fit well, but are really expensive!

Our most popular mask (The Minimus) has the strap attached by tabs on the skirt. You have asked what advantage this might provide and if it is actually a good method to connect a mask strap.

Good questions.. Using tabs on the skirt removes one of the primary vulnerabilities of a typical dive mask. When the plastic buckles are attached to the sides of the rigid mask frame, then they are vulnerable to impact and damaged when the mask is invariably dropped or otherwise abused.

When the rigid attachment is eliminated, any side impact will result in the skirt bending inward and should entirely protect the plastic buckle assembly. I'm not saying it is impossible to damage such a mask if you stomp on it, but it is a very robust and light weight method to construct a mask.

So far, after over a year of sales, I think we have seen one torn mask/skirt tab..I'm not sure if it was abuse or a manufacturing defect, but failure has been extremely rare in our experience.

This type of attachment also may be beneficial to anyone who wishes to carry a back up mask in a pocket... it allows the mask skirt to be folded flat against the face plate, making a very small and thin package.. much more compact and robust than a typical mask.

We guarantee that you will LOVE the MAKO Minimus mask. If it does not seal perfectly and provide excellent comfort - we will accept returns..

Perfect fit Guarantee:

If the Minimus mask is not the best fitting mask you have ever tried on, we will give you a full refund and we will pay for the shipping to send it back!

Minimus

MMM-2T.jpg

mmm-buckle-mount_dtl.jpg

I know the 2 window masks seem more popular, but I like the unobstructed view of the 1 windows.

Mako mini's FOV is pretty good, you can barely see the edges once you get a little deeper, and it's easier on the nose. But make sure you have a reg or snorkel in your mouth (and chew on it) when you try it on.

Mako mini's FOV is pretty good, you can barely see the edges once you get a little deeper, and it's easier on the nose. But make sure you have a reg or snorkel in your mouth (and chew on it) when you try it on.

Yes, that is a good point - for some people having a regulator or snorkel in their mouth significantly changes the way a mask fits. At a minimum, "bite" you index finger when first testing for a seal..

Like you I also find many many masks that fit and seal well. Until recently I had been using a snorkel pro ($20usd) mask. It woks great and my nose doesn't bump the bottom of the pocket.

The scubapro shops in my area carry them. Check one out, at $20 they're not even a bother if you lose or break one. The one in my profile photo has probably over 200 dives on it (counting closed water aquarium dives) and still works great.

I replaced it because I wanted a black skirt to block some useless light input and help dilate my pupils. I'm not sure if it really does that or not, but I find myself catching fewer reflections from the side, and prefer it.

Thanks for the comments guys. Any other thoughts on attachment points? pros / cons? something I shouldn't worry about? Good to know Mako hasn't had an issue with theirs.

Thanks for the comments guys. Any other thoughts on attachment points? pros / cons? something I shouldn't worry about? Good to know Mako hasn't had an issue with theirs.

I expect nose at the top of the pocket is better as the air in the mask makes it "ride up" -- another thing that Mako mini has less of an issue with due to its very low volume.

Again, thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I went to my local shop today and picked up this mask, the Storm Mk 1, Amazon.com : Storm MK1 Frameless Technical Scuba Diving Mask - Black : Sports & Outdoors It has a good size nose pocket. The other mask I ended up liking quite a bit was the Tusa Freedom Elite and HD. However, I found it a little hard to pinch the nose with the frame if I have gloves on for Nor. Cal. diving. The Storm I got is frameless, and really allows me alot of freedom in placement and accessibility to my nose.

I was temped by the Mako, but really wanted the single lense.

My next dive trip is in a couple of weeks, I'll report back on how well it worked!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom