New Gopro Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xSandman3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It seems that the older I get and the more money I make, the cheaper I become. I have spent many thousands of dollars over the years on underwater video systems, and after flooding and destroying my Sony/Ikelite HD video camera, I decided to try a GoPro. I have a Hero 2 that I liked a lot, but always wanted an LCD BacPac for it...never got around to buying one, so I picked up a new Hero 4 Silver. Built the mount/handles for out of PVC, and the light is one I found on Amazon...good to 120'. $319 for the camera, $30 for the light, and $5 for the mount. I'll let you know how it works out.

Attachments

• GoPro.jpg
    GoPro.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 122
I upgraded from a 2 to a 4 Silver and I was amazed at the improvement in video quality and in particular the low light performance. No more grain in the image off in the distance in cave videos where less light was able to reach.

That said, I doubled down as well and added a second video light (another Fix Neo 800) to cover the full field of view. That was the other noticeable change over the 2 - "medium" field of view is a little wider and harder to cover with a single light.

It seems that the older I get and the more money I make, the cheaper I become. I have spent many thousands of dollars over the years on underwater video systems, and after flooding and destroying my Sony/Ikelite HD video camera, I decided to try a GoPro. I have a Hero 2 that I liked a lot, but always wanted an LCD BacPac for it...never got around to buying one, so I picked up a new Hero 4 Silver. Built the mount/handles for out of PVC, and the light is one I found on Amazon...good to 120'. $319 for the camera, $30 for the light, and $5 for the mount. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thank you for a nice idea. How did you affix the go pro attachment to the electric box?

Thank you for a nice idea. How did you affix the go pro attachment to the electric box?
I used the mount from a head strap...cut off any extra plastic to slim it down. It already had a square hole in the middle of it, so a carriage bolt worked perfectly. I put a few ounces of lead in the box and sealed everything up. It will sink slowly on it's own, so it's just about right.

I made a similar tray but found it to be too bulky while diving. After 2 dives with it, i decided to make a different type using aluminum stock and PVC. Eventually plan on adding lights

Attachments

• IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 74

Back
Top Bottom