Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary May 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lizard Leg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The Texas Caribbean

tl;dr: just scroll through for the links to the various videos and albums. Thanks!

The video playlist:

The Wet Lizard Dive Team traveled to sunny Texas the weekend of May 6-8, 2016 for a trip out to the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary aboard the MV Fling with www.flingcharters.com.

Boarding the boat was without incident and full of excitement. A quick briefing, grab your bunk tag, finish the last paperwork and you’re done. After stowing our bags and setting up our gear on the dive deck, we went up top to the sun deck, lounged in the custom bean bag chairs and watched the stars for a time while the boat cleared the channel and headed out into the Gulf. Then it was off to bed.

The cabins are compact but perfectly adequate. Comfortable mattresses, cold air conditioning and the rocking of the boat made for a great night’s sleep, interrupted only by our excitement to dive.

We set an alarm and started our day at 5:30AM Saturday morning, but the crew will wake you up at 6:00AM if you’re not already up. After some coffee and breakfast snacks it was time for the dive briefing and splash in. We were tied into West Flower Garden Banks Buoy #2.

There are not enough words to describe this experience. Flat, calm seas, zero current and 150’+ visibility in turquoise blue open water awaited us. From the sun deck we could see fish swimming over the sand patches 90’ below the surface, without even trying. We splashed in at 6:59AM, grabbed the camera gear lowered down to us by the crew, met up at the side line and descended.

It was a humbling experience to say the least. The largest, healthiest coral we’ve ever seen opened up before our masks. Wildlife was abundant. The crew had already laid a sightline down from the U-bolt for the mooring ball out across the coral. The reef is unbelievably large but with the sightline (and the amazing viz) getting turned around wasn’t even a worry. Equipment issues shortened our first dive and limited pictures and video as we worked through them, but we still managed a 35 minute dive, with a max depth of 79’. Ocean triggers, black durgons, longsnout butterflyfish, creolefish, creole wrasses, tiger grouper, trunkfish, graysby; more than we can list were seen.

Back on board a hearty hot breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, juice, etc. awaited us and afterwards we wandered from the sun deck to the dive deck, just relaxing and getting ready for the next dive. A manta ray was spotted jumping out of the water during the surface interval and we were told it was a mating sign so we should be on the lookout for others down below. J.T. and Matthew took care of filing our tanks while still attached to our rigs. We only had to remove the first stage to let them know it needed a fill. How convenient is that?

The next dive was on the same buoy and splash in was at 10:32AM. Basically re-read the above dive report. It was more of the same: flat seas, zero current, 150’+ visibility, 42 minute dive with a max depth of 91’. Fish and coral galore. Breathtaking. Absolutely breathtaking.

Dives #1 & 2 - West Flower Garden Banks Buoy #2 - Pictures
Dives #1 & 2 - West Flower Garden Banks Buoy #2 - Video

A lunch of pulled pork sandwiches with all the trimmings and sides was enjoyed after we dried off from the dive. After fueling up, we spent some time getting camera lenses, batteries and gear swapped around and took a quick siesta in preparation for the next dive. We were heading to the rig!

Dive #3 was approached with a very in depth briefing since we were diving HI-376-A (High Island Rig 376-A), an operational manned rig, where we found 125’+ visibility, very slight current and calm seas at 1:38PM. The rig was teeming with life. Silky sharks everywhere, bearded fireworms galore, sponges, corals and as to the fish – just open an identification book and check off 90% of it after you’re back on board. Sometimes the sun in the cloudless sky would get blocked out from the schools of fish swimming over us. It was an absolutely amazing dive and we can’t wait to do it again. The dive was 47 minutes with a max depth of 90’.

Dive #3 - HI-376-A Rig Dive - Pictures
Dive #3 - HI-376-A Rig Dive - Video

Once again we dried off, enjoyed some snacks and lemonade from the galley then climbed up to the sun deck to enjoy the view and the rays as the boat moved to the East Flower Garden Banks for our evening and night dives.

We moored on buoy #3 at East Flower Garden Banks and splashed in for dive #4 at 5:07PM. Keeping the sightline in view we once again traveled over expanses of enormous coral and through huge schools of fish. Large Ocean Trigger fish were abundant and guarding mating holes in the sand - they will charge you if you get too close The coral was covered with Christmas tree worms in every color imaginable and plenty of long-spined urchins. The dive was 55 minutes with a max depth of 71’.

Dive #4 - East Flower Garden Banks #3 - Pictures
Dive #4 - East Flower Garden Banks #3 - Video

During our surface interval we enjoyed a pot roast dinner and benefited from a presentation on Lionfish from J.T. and a briefing on the upcoming 8:20PM night dive. White strobes were added to the lines to make navigation a breeze but did not hinder the experience of diving at night in any way. We found many hiding fish and tried not to disturb them or assist the hunters in locating their prey with our lights. One large grouper we were filming was spooked when his tail hit the sightline and he headed straight for the camera. Dive #5 was 48 minutes with a max depth of 71’.

Dive #5 - East Flower Garden Banks #3 - Night Dive - Pictures
Dive #5 - East Flower Garden Banks #3 - Night Dive - Video

Back on the boat we ended our day with ice cream and brownies before falling into our bunks blissfully exhausted.

Sunday morning we again woke at 5:30AM and found we were now moored on Stetson Banks #2 for dive #6. The seas were not as cooperative as the previous day, with 3-4' swells and a rather brisk surface current but neither were a deterrent for getting in our last few dives. At 7:01 AM we splashed in and a large Southern Stingray could be seen from the drop line lazily making his way across the bank 70' below us. The sightline was run to the wall at 95', and the wall continued almost vertically down to 152’. After a brief look over the wall we explored the many nooks between the layers of limestone that make this dive unlike any other. A lone hammerhead shark paid us a visit but kept his distance affording us only a quick glimpse before going on his way. The safety stop provided some entertainment as we hung out like Superman in the current with the side line thrumming in our hands. We returned to the boat after 38 minutes with a max depth of 93’.

Another hearty breakfast then back in the water at 9:41AM for dive #7, our final dive of the weekend. Our lone hammerhead again checked us out as we followed the side line to the drop line but was too quick to get a picture. A brief discussion with J.T. during the surface interval had us headed back to the wall in search of more picture taking opportunities. A multitude of eels were found hanging out on the wall and in many hidey holes along the limestone. Stetson is an exceptionally unique dive - the landscape reminded us of the asteroid in the movie Armageddon. Although there’s very little hard coral, there are loads of sponges and structure and is just exciting to dive as any reef, anywhere. Our final dive was 42 minutes with a max depth of 95’.

Dives #6 & 7 - Stetson Banks #2 - Pictures
Dives #6 & 7 - Stetson Banks #2 - Video

Once back on board we began breaking down our gear and packing everything up. A lunch of lasagna was enjoyed before getting our bunks packed up and taking a nap on the ride back in to the dock.

This was an amazing trip to say the least with over 5 hours of bottom time. The vessel and crew were exceptional and the diving was better than we ever imagined. Mrs. Sharon was an abundance of help in answering questions prior to the trip, Captains Greg and Kyle were great in getting us there and back in comfort even when the seas roughened up, Chef John and sous chef Miranda kept us well fed with great meals, snacks and desserts and Divemasters J.T. and Matthew had us in and out of the water on time, quickly and efficiently, with some of the best dive briefings we've ever heard. The MV Fling and her crew are a well-oiled machine and the trip was amazing in all aspects.

Thanks for this awesome report!
This dive has been on my bucket list just have to figure out how to make the trip down there.

Your report reminds me why!

Thank you for the fantastic report and videos/photos. They reminded me of my trip to the Flower Garden Banks last year. Simply fantastic! FlyinV, take the time to make the trip.

Very nice. I'd like to try that someday; from where I'm at, the cost of airfare, the potential the trip would get cancelled due to weather, and the relatively short duration of the trip have been concerns.

Richard.

During the summer I've heard the trips don;t can;t get cancelled much, but is always an a concern. Safety on this boat is the golden rule. It's only a 6 hour drive for us and we get the cancel notice in time to not be a big concern. Now, that 6 hour drive back home after you get back - ouch. I was wiped out.

How practical is it to do 2 M/V Fling Flower Gardens trips back-to-back? Does anyone do that?

Richard.

How practical is it to do 2 M/V Fling Flower Gardens trips back-to-back? Does anyone do that?

Richard.
I would rather do one extended trip but that is a good idea. Let me know if you get one setup.

I would, too, but that doesn't seem to be an option on the table. Last year I had occasion to converse online with someone who'd been familiar with the Fling in the past. He'd been told something to the effect that at some past point, the Fling did longer trips, but they saw some DCS cases, mostly on days 4 & 5, hence the cut back to shorter trips, given that I was told Flower Gardens diving is basically 85 feet+ and when aiming for 5 dives/day, that's a lot of nitrogen. I was also told aside from Captains, in the U.S. a substantial portion of dive staff on boats are unpaid volunteers (something to remember when tip time rolls around), and it's easier to get crew on shorter trips than week long.

Perhaps pushing for back-to-back, or a longer multi-day extended, trips on the Fling is one of those 'beware what you wish for' things.

"During the summer I've heard the trips don;t can;t get cancelled much, but is always an a concern."

Yes, from what I've been told, I'd aim for the latter half of summer to improve my odds, if I were booking a trip there.

Richard.

I'm thinking of calling a couple of the diveshops that have back to back trips and see what can work out. Leave the boat for the day while they resupply and be back in time to leave that night. If I can't find a place with BBQ and cold beer in Houston then we can write off Texas as a lost cause.

You got me thinking; I wonder what the feasibility is of a 2 or 3 day trip, then a day or so at a hotel, then another 2 day trip, or something like that, to off-load nitrogen yet still get in more days of diving to justify airfare?

Of course, if you fly into Freeport, Texas, which IIRC isn't exactly a tourist hot spot, and a trip gets cancelled, but you took a taxi from the airport to the boat rather than rent a car, better have a potential 'Plan B.'

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom