Which is your favourite muck-dive destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andreni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey there

I need a bit of inspiration. Just came back from Ambon and was again hooked with muck-diving. I've been to Anilao, Cabilao, Lembeh, Ambon and Bali. Now I'm looking for THE place which is packed with unusual critters, photographer-friendly resorts, reasonable price... Was tempted to post this request in the Indonesia-thread (which is my favourite place on earth) but in Ambon i heard about Romblon, we discussed Dauin and of course also Alor. So i chose the General Asia thread...

Now, I would love to learn about your favourite place for critters.

Cheers

That's what I'm looking for. Maybe there is another place about which I should know or maybe everybody is telling me to go to a specific place. I know the level is high but i still hope to get an inspiration for my next trip. Would go back immediately to Lembeh..

PS: love your pictures on Flickr! Looks like you've been to a lot of places...

I Love Lembeh. Been 4x. Anilao once which I really liked too, great critter action and often a point of debate which is better Lembeh or Anilao. I've only done a bit in Ambon and would love to go back, but the resort choice is limited, either high end or extreme budget. Dauin got me hooked on muck many years ago but I haven't been back. The Ducomi Pier was a fantastic site but not open to diving any longer. Mabul has some decent muck and with the Sipadan permit system you end up diving Mabul more than Sipadan. There are some great muck sites in Komodo, but I've done most of them via LOB. In fact the Komodo LOB trips I've made from Bali have some great muck dives done on the way back from Komodo.
But hell Lembeh still tops my list, always great critter action and I usually pair it with another spot in Indonesia.

I Love Lembeh. Been 4x. Anilao once which I really liked too, great critter action and often a point of debate which is better Lembeh or Anilao. I've only done a bit in Ambon and would love to go back, but the resort choice is limited, either high end or extreme budget. Dauin got me hooked on muck many years ago but I haven't been back. The Ducomi Pier was a fantastic site but not open to diving any longer. Mabul has some decent muck and with the Sipadan permit system you end up diving Mabul more than Sipadan. There are some great muck sites in Komodo, but I've done most of them via LOB. In fact the Komodo LOB trips I've made from Bali have some great muck dives done on the way back from Komodo.
But hell, Lembeh still tops my list, always great critter action, and I have a great guide I know I can count on, and I usually pair it with another spot in Indonesia.

Closer to home, especially for those on the east coast, is St. Vincent. Spectacular varieties and numbers of amazing critters, some of them unique. It's the Caribbean, but pretty wonderful muck diving.

Lembeh, then Milne Bay, then Ambon, then Anilao.

I think it's just the luck of the draw to be honest. I've had some good critter trips and some average critter trips to each, but I find in general that Lembeh seems to have the most variety, and I always see something new there on each trip.

I put Lembeh, Anilao, Ambon, Tulamben and Alor more or less in the same league.
I have taken my muck seriously for a while now, stating which one is better will depend on what I am looking for.
Alor and Ambon rule for Rhinopias.
Lembeh is on top of the list for behavior.
Anilao and Tulamben are paramount for nudibranches or frogfish.
Anilao and Lembeh are great for octopii.

Then after I would put Dauin (carwreck : GPF and frogfishes per dozens), Bangka (Paradise pier, mimic, frogfish and big nudis galore) and Mabul; there are also a few places which can be interesting for muck like Maumere (Waiterang wreck, ankermi), Manado bay, Padang Bai(Jetty can brng 4 rhinopias in one dive) but lack the number of sites that the other areas provide.

Note I haven't been diving Milne Bay, although I have always heard ultrapositive feedback about.

Back
Top Bottom