Are Canister Lights fading away...

Do you use a cordless light as your primary cave/wreck light?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer the canister lights. I'm using E/O cords, with one canister for my light and one for my heated vest. It gives me some options depending on the situation.

Like someone else stated, I am only using cannister lights as my wife and I have four of them and it seems pointless to buy new cordless ones. I do not see the value anymore of purchasing very expensive cannister ones when you can get very cheap and good cordless ones from China (via eBay) for 1/50 the cost of some cannister ones and they will run for hours on a charge and have almost as good lighting.

I am on the fence. I know that technology is advancing quickly and as the hand held lights gain in efficiency and burntime I can see the higher priced canister lights going away.

Right now I do not need a canister light where I dive, it is tropical and bright. But quite often dive with one so I can remain proficient with my drills while holding the light. This way when I "need" it (e.g. deep wreck or cave) I will not be fumbling around with it.

Last edited:
Like someone else stated, I am only using cannister lights as my wife and I have four of them and it seems pointless to buy new cordless ones. I do not see the value anymore of purchasing very expensive cannister ones when you can get very cheap and good cordless ones from China (via eBay) for 1/50 the cost of some cannister ones and they will run for hours on a charge and have almost as good lighting.

Can you link me to the ones you're talking about? I'm curious what the real-world specs would be as light manufacturers are frequently far too "optimistic" to be physically possible.

Personally, I still say HID > LED in the water, especially when there is reduced visibility.

Has anyone tried the Halcyon Focus Handheld? According to the specs, 5 hours of burn time on the high setting, 15 on the low. Curious what cave divers think of this light.

Has anyone tried the Halcyon Focus Handheld? According to the specs, 5 hours of burn time on the high setting, 15 on the low. Curious what cave divers think of this light.
I have a Flare (same as Focus but with an adjustable beam-angle head). Those hours are about what I am getting on mine. I have not actually timed it. I really like the light and plan on keeping it for quite some time. If I were to do it over again I would go with the Focus as I am just not utilizing the adjustable head to justify the extra $$$.

I have a Flare (same as Focus but with an adjustable beam-angle head). Those hours are about what I am getting on mine. I have not actually timed it. I really like the light and plan on keeping it for quite some time. If I were to do it over again I would go with the Focus as I am just not utilizing the adjustable head to justify the extra $$$.
Focus is adjustable (because you can focus it). Flare is nonadjustable.

My primary cave light is the Halcyon Focus, corded version with E/O. I really like it a lot. It's very comfortable, easy to adjust, and burns for quite a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom