Belize And Costa Maya. Depths? Bring Gear Or Rent? Other Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next cruise is on NCL.
Several times in the past, for some reason Carnival didn't have the Belize excursion on their website. I think it was back in March (my last cruise) I couldn't find it. I contacted Parkley they said yes we still had Carnival contact and had our ship and another Carnival ship on their schedule for the day we were scheduled to be there. Called Carnival and they couldn't figure out why it wasn't coming up.

Did Barefoot last year (or year before, poor memory) good dive but I felt so lonesome, it was the guide and me.

Confirmed today that Hugh Parkey's is closing up shop, so it remains to be seen whether cruise lines will be able to line up another dive op to offer scuba excursions in Belize.

Next cruise is on NCL.
Several times in the past, for some reason Carnival didn't have the Belize excursion on their website. I think it was back in March (my last cruise) I couldn't find it. I contacted Parkley they said yes we still had Carnival contact and had our ship and another Carnival ship on their schedule for the day we were scheduled to be there. Called Carnival and they couldn't figure out why it wasn't coming up.

Did Barefoot last year (or year before, poor memory) good dive but I felt so lonesome, it was the guide and me.

I too am going to Belize on NCL next February. Our port is their new private island, Harvest Caye, and I don't know if/how/when the diving excursions will be posted for our trip.

Post back here if anyone has information on NCL cruise ship diving from Harvest Caye.

I too am going to Belize on NCL next February. Our port is their new private island, Harvest Caye, and I don't know if/how/when the diving excursions will be posted for our trip.

Post back here if anyone has information on NCL cruise ship diving from Harvest Caye.

Harvest Caye is NCL private island. Haven't checked recently, but they were having many problems getting it up and running. That's why the cruise I was supposed to do in October was still going to Belize City. (wife cancelled that one and expects to rebook later maybe November)

You should dive in Cozumel and do a Mayan Ruin tour in Belize.

was just looking at this thread again and thought, 2airishuman is trying to plan for Mar of 17 from May of 16. I am scheduled for second week of Nov. and haven't even begun to set up my dives.
Of course, Costa Maya I'll just use ship excursion. Haven't deduced on Roatan. Cozumel, I'll give Aldora a call next month. And Belize, lets see if what Altamira says is correct

Hi Lou.

Trip has several family members and lots of moving parts. We ultimately booked a different itinerary after this thread was posted and are now on NCL stopping at Ocho Rios, Jamiaca; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel; and Key West. The cruise starts and ends in Miami and we're tentatively planning a 3-day stay in the keys at its conclusion.

I understanding that the diving at Ocho Rios isn't very good. That will probably end up being a beach day for us. The reviews and information I've been able to find are inconclusive but it sounds like the diving is, well, average, so it may be a beach day for us.

In another thread there's some mention that the shore diving in Grand Cayman isn't the greatest but I'm tempted to try it anyway since I'll be there and have my gear.

Lou, thanks for the tip on Aldora divers. Seems like my kind of operator. I dive steel 120s on my shore dives at home and have come to prefer the longer dives and added safety margin that come with more air.

I was thinking of diving the Vandy in Key west but it looks like we'll end up booking a "tall ship" excursion to the Dry Tortugas instead.

After last post, decided to book November excursion.
Due to arrival time in Roatan, went with cruise excursion.
Costa Maya figured I'd try Doctor Dive.
Cozumel of course, Aldora.
For now, Belize is open.

Key West, been there, but never dive there. On cruise stop logistics were difficult. Although I spend much of the winter in Florida, it's a 4 to 4 1/2 hour drive to KW, so its a 3 day excursion. (1 down, 1 dive, 1 back).
key Largo recommend Horizon Divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom