I've decided on an Apeks XTX50 or 200 - help with the specific package details

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there isn't any difference of note across adapter brands. I have Zeagles, Dive Rites, and Apeks adapters, and dislike all with equal enthusiasm, for single cylinder backmount diving. They are a pain in the neck, or more specifically, in the back of the head. I dive DIN cylinders at home, and am forced to accomodate yokes when traveling to the Caribbean.

The DGX one is $20.

DGX DIN-to-Yoke Spin-on Adapter | Dive Gear Express®

I have DIN regs and one of the DGX adapters. I have flown to Mexico and Hawaii 3 times, all totalled, to dive. So, not very many. But, I have only had to use my DIN-to-yoke adapter a couple of times. Most of the time, I have asked in advance and had tanks with a convertible valve, so could use my DIN reg and no adapter. I have heard that while yoke is pretty much the norm in the U.S., DIN is the norm in Europe. So, dive destinations that get a lot of European traffic are mostly well setup to accommodate them and their DIN regs. I have simply made it a point when I'm doing my advance planning to choose a dive operator to ask if they can give me tanks with a DIN valve. The few times that I have used the adapter, I have never noticed any difference in clearance for my head.

I have not gotten a picture to confirm, but I believe that when I'm in the water, the tank valve is behind my neck, not the back of my head. So, with the adapter, the 1st stage is closer to the back of my neck, not my head. So, the only thing that would reduce clearance for me is something that makes the 1st stage sit higher, not more forward.

For $20, the adapter is good thing to have. And I consider DIN regs to be a no-brainer. You can use a DIN reg on any tank, possibly with an adapter. As my buddy found out last Saturday, there is nothing you can do to use a yoke reg on a tank with a 300 bar DIN valve. No adapter will make it work.

Last weekend, my buddy wanted to try out my HP100 tanks (which are older and have 300 bar valves). He'd only dived with AL80s before. I forgot that his 1st stage is yoke. We met up out at the quarry and quickly realized he could not use his reg on my tanks. Lucky for him, I don't live too far from the quarry, so I drove home and grabbed my single tank reg set for him to use. But, why put yourself in that position? Get a DIN reg and a yoke adapter. If you ever end up needing to use the yoke adapter and you do find that it annoys your head, then consider whether it's enough of a problem to be worth converting your 1st stage to yoke before your next trip to the Caribbean (or wherever). Or pick up a cheap yoke 1st stage and swap when needed.

ps. Bill, I quoted you, but I was really addressing my comments to the OP. I know you know that stuff.

Last edited:
ps. Bill, I quoted you, but I was really addressing my comments to the OP. I know you know that stuff.
Stuart, I fully understand. And, you make some good comments. I think I probably should clarify something that I wrote and you quoted.
I have not gotten a picture to confirm, but I believe that when I'm in the water, the tank valve is behind my neck, not the back of my head.
Yes, that is the proper position for the valve. What is a pain in the head is the first stage, coming off the adapter. The use of the adapter does not move the first stage 'up', but it definitely moves it toward the head and neck, and reduces the clearance between the head / neck and the leading edges of the first stage. When you arch your head fully up (which, if in good horizontal trim, is actually 'back' and down) with an adapter in place, you have a greater likelihood of your head making contact with the first stage. To me (and a number of other divers I have spoken with over the years), it is annoying to have my head make contact with the first stage. In fairness, I have also talked to divers who have not had a problem.
So, with the adapter, the 1st stage is closer to the back of my neck, not my head.
Except, when you arch your head back - the occipital bone does not really move 'back' as much as down, hence the contact with the top of the first stage.

There is nothing particularly wrong with an adapter. A cheap generic version is fine, and is good in a pinch, or a one-off situation, as you note. But, from my perspective, it is a poor solution to a problem, when you know in advance that you will need a yoke regulator, and are planning several days of diving. You suggestion of calling the dive op in advance is an excellent one. And, fortunately, the number of convertible valves in use in Caribbean resorts is increasing, but is still not a 'given'. I haven't had a problem with my DIN regs in Europe.

In reality, I think the choice - a) converting the DIN bolt to a yoke bolt and adding the A clamp, b) having a separate reg for yoke dives, or c) using an adapter, is a matter of personal preference. I don't see any approach as wrong, just what a diver prefers. My personal preference happens to be the order I cited, above. Other divers probably have a different order.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom