Just Moved to Chattanooga TN, PADI Specialty Instructor. HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaParrott

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Im fairly new to using Scuba board however here we go!
I am a specialty instructor and have been working down in the keys for a while however due to family heath issues I was compelled to move back home to TN for a while. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to work/instruct in this area? Or any outfits that need an instructor?
THANKS!!

Three choices here :
1. The passive approach waiting for the shops to call you. Typically shops are set on their ways, so this is the low probability course.
2. A Google search for your area dive shops (I expect you'll find 3-5 shops), and an active search with a resume/ online profile and what are you looking for. Maybe start with a volunteer position and go from there. This will get your scuba fix, and maybe a $12/hour job.
3. Create your own luck, and start your own dive shop. The local YMCA might have a 10+ ft dive pool, and look for a quarry around to finalize the certifications. Get into Groupon and advertise the adventure - "intro dives for $99 off a $399 package" to see prospects. You might need a few BCDs and tanks to start. A website. Over time add the usual scuba travel and specialized course. This might be the riskiest and the most rewarding one.
So, what's your course? Will you be the passive seeker, the active one, or the "make your own luck" one? Dive in.

I'm pretty much a professional at creating luck! It hadnt occurred to me to utilize the Y so thank you very much for the Idea! I also nailed a job interview with the aquarium here today so its all coming together quite nicely

Back
Top Bottom